Thread: making a magnetic clasp

Default making a magnetic clasp

Hi,
    I am making a bespoke argentium silver clasp and it needs to be magnetic. It will be used for a 6mm flat leather bracelet, which needs to fit snuggly around the wrist, hence the magnetic closure as there'll be no extra length available to manoeuvre when closing the clasp.
    Any advice in making magnetic clasps from scratch would be greatly appreciated. I already have magnet samples - all pairs of round, approx 3mm to 5mm in dia, with a pull of around 0.6kg.
    One thing I've noticed, and it worries me, is that when the magnets are fitted inside sterling silver tube of the clasp and clasp snapped together, the whole clasp attracts small iron objects or gets itself attached to metal containing iron. I'm just wondering if that's normal, or are my magnets too strong? When I did my research I've seen jewellers using 2lb magnets and mine are less powerful than that. How do I overcome this problem, please?

Thank you!

Nat

Yes, magnets do attract iron, that is in their nature.

For this reason they are best used in places which are worn high up and out of the way, such as necklaces.
    Generally a rim is provided, so that the magnets cant part company by sliding apart

For bracelets, you might consider other traditional fasteners. Dennis.

What Dennis said.
    What about a box clasp of some kind, something the leather can be glued into? Caroline

Default making a magnetic clasp

Thanks Dennis, yes there are lots of other options, but I really wanted to work out how to make my own magnetic clasp. Cooksons don't sell magnets specifically for jewellery making nor can I find any info on the kind or strength of the magnets suitable for bracelet clasps. I obviously know such is the nature of magnets that they attract iron, but having had a couple of magnetic bracelets long time ago I don't remember them ever attaching themselves to other metal items while I was wearing them. So I wondered if perhaps there's someone within the makers community who knows what kind of magnets I should be considering. It makes me think the magnets are purchased are too strong, or maybe the wrong kind.
    Thanks again,
    Nat

Well Nat, in that case it's a matter of finding the smallest magnet that will keep your bracelet securely fastened.
    Any collection of metal debris will be proportionate.
    Here you will find magnet assortments to allow you to experiment https:https://www.first4magnets.com/magnet...ion-packs-t178
    Last edited by Dennis; 16-07-2023 at 09:43 AM.

From a wear and tear point of view no matter how tight, a bracelet will always catch on something so not sure a magnetic clasp is practical. Unless you keep your arms crossed and out of the way of all things iron of course!

I don't wish to be negative, but they are also able to be easily stolen, plus can interfere with pacemakers too.
    Jules