Firstly, I am not in any way an expert. I am a relative beginner and I am not instructing rather I am making observations from my limited experience.
There are reams written on annealing by many true experts but it is only by reading several of these experts articles you in fact “get the whole story”. The issues I have had are 1. How often to anneal ?2. To air cool or quench? 3. The actual annealing temperature?
For me the answers are:
1. Every time you hammer bend or deform your silver you are work hardening it. So I have found it necessary to re anneal repeatedly….depending upon what you have subjected to piece to. It becomes less pliable / formable. You CANT anneal too often.
2. Air cool till all colour has gone then quench. Otherwise you will “shock” the molecular structure and in essence will work harden it yet again!
3. Colour…a dull room out of any direct light and just up to a glow….not cherry red! A sharpy black pen line tends to disappear at or just before the correct temperature…..STOP after maintaining that temperature for 15 seconds or so. Then, yes, air cool before quenching.
Again repeat after working on the piece if there is more forming to be done.
Please forgive me if it seems that I am “teaching my grandmother to suck eggs” as is said, but by writing this it has helped me to understand and reinforce the essentials of annealing. Like learning your times tables at school! It is assumed we know but ??
David.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk