Thread: Hi

Default Hi

Hi all,
    I’m in South West England and completely new to jewellery making (that uses metals). I’ve joined the forum to learn about making my own brooch pins for my textile jewellery. Initially I was looking at using bought findings, but because I want to use materials and components that are environmentally and ethically sourced, soon realised that most brooch backs are probably made in China. So then I thought I could maybe learn to make a fibula style pin, in either recycled silver or spring hard steel. I read the thread re. Steel pins wth interest and think I may learn a lot in this forum!

Hi Sal and welcome to the forum and good to have another maker here. You'll find loads of useful tips here, but here's a couple to get you started.. https://www.cooksongold.com/forum/sh...ghlight=fibula and this one.. https://www.cooksongold.com/forum/se...archid=2253160
    Jules

Default Thank you

Thank you very much Jules! Will take a look at the links. Brilliant to have this resource in the shape of this forum.

Hi Sal, and welcome to the Forum.
    We haven't seen your fabric brooches, but I guess you could make a plain fibula with a very shallow bow, or no bow at all, rather like a safety pin.
    With everything nearly complete, you could thread the wire which is to have a hook into the back, and then bend up the hook.
    Or you could just finish the pin and stitch it on
    Copper and brass are quite dirty, so your best bet might be hard silver or hard silver plated wire, about 0.7- 0.8mm in diameter. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 10-06-2022 at 07:46 PM.

You are welcome Sal.

I can guarantee you never stop learning and this forum has provided me and many others lots of tips and tricks over the years. I cannot contribute as much now, but do look every so often.

My thanks also go to Dennis, who recommended his ring bending plier in another post, which I've now purchased and although I've only had it a couple of days has made a massive difference in my forays into ring making.
    Jules

Thank you so much Dennis, that's really helpful!

Quote Originally Posted by Petal View Post
    You are welcome Sal.

I can guarantee you never stop learning and this forum has provided me and many others lots of tips and tricks over the years. I cannot contribute as much now, but do look every so often.

My thanks also go to Dennis, who recommended his ring bending plier in another post, which I've now purchased and although I've only had it a couple of days has made a massive difference in my forays into ring making.
    Ha,ha…yes! I have a number of tools recommended by Dennis from ring bending pliers to fine diamond files to eveflex polishing sets, to………you name it. Maybe he should get a commission from these companies!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk