Thread: Which Hardness solder for gold to use

Default Which Hardness solder for gold to use

Hi guys
    I have search everywhere inc google - like many I have done a bit with silver but want to make own wedding rings (basic bands) and know I need the correct 9k or 18k solder for the correct gold
    But
    Is there a recommended gold hardness to solder a basic wedding band - hard medium or easy- I realise the easy melts faster but usually colour is not quite the same with silver -
    So please someone recommend best hardness solder to use for 1- 9k ring and 1- 18k ring and a small reason would be amazing
    Thanks in advance
    Mark

If your joint is a good fit, then colour becomes less important, but still probably worth bearing in mind.
    For 9ct it is usual to use medium solder, as hard would be close to the melting point of the shank.
    For 18ct use hard, a it will be closest in colour.
    If you only have two rings to do, buy a few cm of wire solder and apply snips of it, as it is the cheapest option. Dennis.

Hi Dennis

Thanks for your reply - I have ordered a few tiny bits of small various hardness Of 9k and 18k from cooksons yesterday - Was so cheap for small amounts so ordered all types for future use .
    They didn’t have any hard 18k wire but I ordered medium and soft in 18k so I hope medium will be ok for the 18k ??? And I ordered all 3 of the 9k . But will try medium first
    For a gold soldering beginner on wedding band join would medium be the best all round one to try ? Or do you recommend I get some 18k hard wire

Thanks Mark

Yes it will be fine if your joint is good.
    If you are having a hall mark, or any engraving, make sure it is well clear, in case you need to re-size in the future. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 08-06-2022 at 02:38 PM.

Thanks for that tip - thats awesome info much appriciated
    regards `mark