Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Taking Credit Cards

I've taken credit cards via a mobile chip n pin for about 3 years now. It was a difficult decision due to the costs and need to set up a merchant account, but I got some reductions being a NMTF member.

While I was doing the odd craft fair, I didn't see the need and used the cash-cashpoint-cheque-deposit routes mentioned here. Then I moved to working & selling regularly, 2 days each week at Greenwich craft market, and after a year I realised that many tourists didn't carry too much currency or cheque books with them, so I made the leap. It has been useful, especially at christmas (and mother's day), and seems to encourage some add-on/spontaneous purchasing. I think it has also helped on the credibility front as a market trader because my business contact details are stamped on the terminal printouts receipts, which back up the business cards that I give with the purchases.

From the costs shown on the post for the Paypal option, it looks as though my mobile terminal costs me around £8 per month more, but I've been very happy with the service and terminal from Streamline & 123 Send.
    Kym

I'm hoping for world peace but I'd also like something shiny as well...

www.kymbigwood.com

When I was selling before the runaway husband incident I joined the FSB, and used their discount on getting a Chip & Pin terminal. When I stopped selling because of all the changes in my life that ensued with the divorce etc, I was stuck with it because it came with quite a lengthy contract. Glad I still have it now though and hopefully will get to use it again soon It's the same as Kymbi's and costs me £60 per quarter plus transaction fees from Streamline.
    Lucinda

Okay, so those of you with these agreements - Heather and Lucinda off the top of my head - what would your advice be to somebody like me. Just to help you:

• I'm trying to build and grow a business
    • I anticipate doing around 6 fairs a year at the moment
    • I'm not destitute but funds are limited

There's no right or wrong answers guys - I'm just trying to work out the best way forward for me.
    Di x

Assuming your terminal cost the same as mine with 6 shows a year that would be £40 a show to have the terminal BUT you can also use it to take payments by credit card over the phone for your website. When I got my terminal I found most people were paying by card so it was something my customers obviously wanted an I think encouraged more spontaneous purchases, and some larger purchases too. I would say if you can afford to do it, go for it, but it will probably be far more cost effective for you to join someone like the FSB or NFMT and do it through them, so there is the fee to join twhich ever organisation to consider. I think the BJA also do a cterminal rental offer aswell.
    Lucinda

To be honest Di, given the outline of your current state of play, I would (probably) not go down the mobile terminal route unless the craft events you are doing are big ones with muchos-money involved. Yes, they are useful but you are also tied into a contract that will cost close to £30pm (for a minimum of 12 months, but often 3 years) + transaction charges, so will add another £55-60 onto the cost of each craft fair.

Before I had my mobile machine, I used to have a sign to let customers know they could leave a deposit (non-returnable) to secure an item, with the balance paid by cheque, cash or Paypal within 7 days, then I would post the jewellery to them, or they could collect it from me. This, along with good-old hard cash or cheque seemed to cover most eventualities. If I hadn't been working regularly in an main tourist area with a lot of overseas visitors, I'm not sure I would have got my credit card machine.
    Kym

I'm hoping for world peace but I'd also like something shiny as well...

www.kymbigwood.com

Thanks for that, both of you.

Kym, that is probably the road I intend to go down. I do live in a tourist area but its not grockel time at the moment!

The majority of my pieces are based on local scenes and history so as I get more established I'm hoping to get listed in places like Arlington (who have already expressed an interest). Perhaps then, with that type of exposure, it might be worth it.

I'm aiming for the stars, so that I might achieve the world
    Di x

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Cottage View Post
    Hm, I had a 'witty quip' ready in response to your comment - but it's gone now!

Ah, memory - I used to have one.

In the meantime, good luck with your plans and aims.
    Anne

Feel the fear, and do it anyway!
    Blog: http://www.whiteoakjewellery.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Cottage View Post
    Thanks for that, both of you.

Kym, that is probably the road I intend to go down. I do live in a tourist area but its not grockel time at the moment!

The majority of my pieces are based on local scenes and history so as I get more established I'm hoping to get listed in places like Arlington (who have already expressed an interest). Perhaps then, with that type of exposure, it might be worth it.

Sounds like a good decision. If I didn't already have one I am not sure that I would be getting one just yet.

Out of interest, what's Arlington?
    Lucinda

This is Arlington
    Di x

Oh lovely Di, looks liek a fab place
    Lucinda