Thread: A Rash!

Default A Rash!

I set up a case in a gallery on Wed for the opening of the new show on Fri.
    On Thursday they phoned to say they had both tested positive for Covid and the show wouldn’t open until they didn’t. They had however sold 2 cuffs before opening the show and shutting the gallery.
    One had been bought for Granny coming from Oz. I said it’s always better to try on for size and she said the granddaughter of the same build had tried it on and it was perfect.
    The gallery is now closed but through the letterbox on Sun was the returned cuff which apparently had caused a rash .
    She says she knows that oxidised doesn’t cause a rash but as per the care instructions was it ok to give it a wash. The light oxidising was done at least 3 years ago and I never oxidise anything that touches the skin so the inside of cuffs are matt finished in this case. It has been cleaned many times since
    I don’t know what their policy is on gift returns but I’m guessing granny didn’t like it and the gallery being shut allowed them to return it without discussing even on the phone or having to show the rash. The gallery said she will of course refund her.
    I’m not really bothered other than I know it’s nothing I’ve done that caused the rash. I know allergies exist but have never had a customer buy a piece and say they were allergic to it. More likely it’s been do you not make in gold as I’m allergic to silver.
    Surely she’d have to have worn it for a while for the rash to appear? Without me checking it over should it be going back in my case for sale as worse case scenario might be that it’s scratched or damaged?

At least neither of us are testing positive for covid as yet!

People! I had a lady quiz me like the gestapo as to wether my silver was in fact silver because a pair of earrings had irritated her ear lobe piercings. I had to work hard to convince her they were sterling silver and had to point out the .925 stamp on the ear wire! Turns out she hadn’t worn dangly earrings for years, only studs. Having persisted wearing them for a few days all turned out well. It was quite uncomfortable being confronted like that in front of other people!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think they were being opportunistic as the gallery was shut. I haven’t been anywhere that would give a refund on jewellery if I didn’t like it, either an exchange or a credit note with limited time.

Being a seller puts you at the mercy of miscreants. The best remedy is a short explanation and a re-fund. Dennis.

That’s up to the gallery then but there is really nothing to explain until they speak to them