Thread: Gold plating …..

Default Gold plating …..

HELP! Just re gold soldered a tiny closed jump ring onto an earring for a friend. These very light earrings I have found out are gold plated and of course the area round the soldering has burnt off the gold plate. Any easy fixes similar to liquid silver plate that can be rubbed on that doesn’t cost a fortune?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Its very flattering to be asked to repair some jewellery, for a friend. But it can also be a poisoned chalice.
    The damaged area will need light polishing, and then re-plating.
    The cheapest means is to find a battery operated plating pen, but that might cost more than the pieces did in the first place, so I would offer to replace them, or re-fund the cost.

https://www.google.com/search?q=batt...client=gws-wiz Dennis.

Well luckily my friend having been shown the item was totally happy! She said “a blind man on horseback…….etc” She has long hair and it will totally hide the small amount discoloured! Yes lesson learnt!

I would explain that they are plated and not silver. I wonder if she knew that. I wouldn’t be taking on the extra costs involved in plating. If you’re doing it for nothing it as a favour then nothing lost. As a goodwill gesture you could offer her a new pair or as I did recently put the other one on a chain and make it a pendant

Yes it was a favour!