Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruts!

Default Ruts!

Do we all get stuck in a rut occasionally? I am finding that I am repeatedly making essentially similar pieces because the jewellery/craft sales that I take pieces to to sell and thus finance new stock and new tools….or toys as my wife calls them!….seem popular and need replacing. I have joined tutorials and play / experiment with new ideas and skills, but somehow return to the same old pathway. Is this common or does it show “constipation of artistic drive” ? . I look at examples of many of your pieces and salivate, but get seduced by the demand of “have you got another like that in a size x, y or z “! The cure? Possibly join a live jewellery class ? Anyone else experienced this?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's clearly the fault of customers who only want to buy the same old stuff. Churn it out and take their money - divert a bit to pushing yourself to make new stuff and sell in a new market. Only you can hoik yourself out of a rut.
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Yes…..I think “the line of least resistance” , comes into the equation!

There's one item on my website - I've sold 648 of them. No challenge to make but very popular. I sit and make them in sessions while box-setting of an evening. Of course the really annoying thing is that 648 people like this item while the designery stuff gets ignored.
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

We all start out making what sells at the beginning. I’m in a position to make only what I enjoy and get something from . One off bespoke pieces and if someone doesn’t like or can’t afford a piece of the at one time 90 on offer then I’m not the right person for them.
    I wouldn’t even know how to repeat a piece. It evolves at the bench until it’s finished then that moment has gone and another will have replaced it. Often if a piece has hung around too long I’ll remake or refine and it is likely to go.
    I’d done some work for my Open Studio in 2019 and then we had the first lockdown. I returned to it last year and couldn’t connect with some of them at all, didn’t even know where I was coming from. I chopped them up and added and removed and they are in a gallery which on the day of opening the show then had to close because they tested positive. This jewellery lark is such fun!

I am also fortunate that I have no need to make a living from what I make. although in the days when I had to earn a crust I must have made thousands of cutting boards, because they sold quicker than I could make them, then one day I decided to go cold turkey
    began making bespoke furniture, (I am a Cabinet Maker by trade) I found that customers also were willing to pay for something that was unique, I would think the same would apply to Jewellery

Well I decided to jump out of my symmetry rut and have made a totally asymmetric necklace for a friend and two other necklaces which are….well symmetrically asymmetric! If I knew how to show you these I might conquer my shyness and steady myself for feed back!. I have taken photos of them! I will attempt to add the photos……Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0593.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	6.4 KB 
ID:	13350
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0592.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	4.3 KB 
ID:	13351
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0590.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	5.3 KB 
ID:	13352
    Be kind but honest!!!
    David.

Strewth! It seems to have worked……

And he’s off! I can’t enlarge them on the iPad but they are looking good and have taken you in a new direction. There will be no stopping you

You're well away now David. No need for more advice: you should join in giving it now. Your camera will be your sternest critic, but it hasn't picked up any glaring faults. Dennis.