Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hinge Clasp Hoops

Default Hinge Clasp Hoops

Hi! I am looking at making a pair of hoops with the type of post that's on a hinge and then clicks into a clasp. I've been looking to buy the fixture already made but not much having much luck - do I need to learn to make it from scratch? Any advice appreciated!

Hi Jpo31, and welcome to the forum. There isn't anything very special in making findings for those: just a bit of bent wire with one end flattened to insert and rivet in place. Then a hook to click it into. An example found online below:

If you dont fancy that, you can just use bought posts and scrolls, as in my fancy hoops in the second picture:
    Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hoop earring with bow.jpg   Ac7 Argentium Ear Hoops 20.00mm.jpg  

They look really special. Did you use square wire?
    David.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's triangular wire David, one of my favourites, but you have to draw it down yourself. Kind regards, Dennis.

Ouch…..does that mean another “toy” to buy?! A draw bench and plates?

Yes, I'm afraid so David, but you can build up little by little, starting with maybe just round and triangular.

Below are my draw bench parts, attached to my faithful old work horse, but they could be fixed to an old table, or bench:

A carpenters vice which is smooth and makes it easy to hold and release the plates.
    Some hand held draw plate tongs with one hook.
    A length of non-stretch rope from a boat chandler, with a strong steel ring for the hook.
    And lastly a small boat trailer winch. I notice some come compete with a strap now, but probably still need a ring.

I posted this on the forum, not long after I joined, but was met with almost total silence. I have used several professional draw benches at college since, but none can compare with the smooth and elegant working of my home assembled contraption.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Drawbench.jpg  

I see that yours is the single hook version, do you have the physically hold the tongs closed ?

That looks wonderful. Home made tools always have pride of place in my workshop. Annoyingly I had all those components when we lived in France but inevitably with downsizing ……..the winch and the flat jawed vice seemed superfluous at the time so got given away! I must keep my eyes and ears open for replacements and a draw plate and the hook part. Boot sales!! I was a bit horrified to say the least at the cost at cooksons for a complete unit.
    Thank you Dennis.
    Regards, David

Yes, you hold the tongs closed, but it's no great chore and you have full control. The double hook self closing ones need to be arranged more carefully and can slip unexpectedly.
    The joy of my draw bench is that I can work rhythmicly, with barely a pause. You feel at once when it's time to anneal, so no slipping and causing notches.
    Dennis.

The cheaper double hook ones are pretty awful, TBH.