Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fixings I need For Medallion Necklace

Default Fixings I need For Medallion Necklace

I'm afraid I know nothing about jewelery making.

I have a medallion like one in screenshot. I want to attach a waxed cord of other type that might be suitable? I'm after a green colured one. If I just attach the cord to a ring, which is fitted to the medallion, then the type of clasp joining the cord, this would just work its way around to where the cord is threaded through the jump ring attached to the medallion.
    What type of fixings do I need to get, so can cut the cord to the length I want, joining the cord at both ends and prevent the cord working itself to the medallion? Cord can be in different thickness choice of clasp I think would need to take that into account.
    Cheers. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sun-medallion-gold.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	15.7 KB 
ID:	13338

I would just use a simple larks head knot through the ring on the top of the medallion (you may need to remove a bale if it has one like the one in your picture.)

That will fix your medallion to whatever part of the cord you want it to hang from.
    Last edited by Caro; 18-05-2022 at 10:23 AM.

Hi Z, and welcome to the forum.
    For thong material you can browse here:https://www.google.com/search?channe...g+for+necklace.
    The simplest way to stop the pendant from wandering, is as my illustration.
    The ends of the thong or cord, need thong ends, best made by winding wire around a suitable rod, and glueing them on with gel superglue. Or you can buy cord end crimps.
    For a fastener get a lobster claw fastener of the right colour. Dennis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How to attach a cord.jpg   Cord ends.jpg  

Hi,
    and thanks for replying, this larks head knot. I'm looking at buying one of 253627247312 made from faux leather. As is made out of sort of plastic. I'm wondering if the larks head knot, would form properly? As a fabric, cotton cord would. Looking at the cord on Ebay I would only need to buy a small quantity, only sold in packs of end crimps.

OK, thanks Dennis for enlightening me

Quote Originally Posted by ZeusMC View Post
    Hi,
    and thanks for replying, this larks head knot. I'm looking at buying one of 253627247312 made from faux leather. As is made out of sort of plastic. I'm wondering if the larks head knot, would form properly? As a fabric, cotton cord would. Looking at the cord on Ebay I would only need to buy a small quantity, only sold in packs of end crimps.

I've used it with waxed cord and real leather/suede successfully but never with a plastic one. It will stay put in the same place but it may not stay looking tight and neat. The best way would to buy one from the seller and try it.

The elephant in the room is that when tying the larks head, cow hitch whatever, the cord most pass through the jump ring doubled. This will restrict the thickness of the cord used, and in turn affect the size of the cord ends and fastener.
    Ebay dont always divulge the dimensions of what they offer, unless you go back to the seller. Dennis.

Kernocraft have a good selection of cord ends and cords no doubt. They aren’t expensive so you might have to play around with what works best for you, try different cords different knots, make the knot a feature.

Ok, thanks for the replies. I've bought a metre of 0.5mm waxed cotton cord for the Larks head knot. What sort, size of end crimps, clasp do I need to fasten it?

Hope it will be strong enough for you.

If the cord turns out to be too flimsy, then give up the knot. Use only the upper ring and cut through the front part near the base. pass a thicker cord through it, and close the ring neatly with pliers so that it just grips.

Crimps or cord ends, try the smallest available first.
    Fastener, a size in keeping and not too difficult to use. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 19-05-2022 at 11:13 AM.