Thread: Polishing ring band/back plate

Default Polishing ring band/back plate

Hey! I’m relatively new so sorry if this doesn’t make much sense! I have recently bought a barrel tumbler for my sterling silver cabochon rings, when I take them out there are white bits around all the joins, in particular where the ring band connects to the back plate. Should I be doing something pre-tumble that I’m not?

Also, I got the Dremel polishing starter kit but none of the attachments will reach the really awkward places, is there another attachment I can use that will reach them? (I’m also thinking for when I patina the pieces, an attachment that could really get in there and get all the patina off).

I was also wondering what technique people use to get patina really black, as mines not seeming to go past grey.

Many thanks!

All the polishing info you will ever need is in Stephen Goldsmith's Polishing and Finishing for Jewellers and Silversmiths. (He's my book big bro' to declare an interest). He also runs masterclasses, and no matter how long you have been doing silver and gold work you will learn a lot in those two days. Worth every tax-deductible penny.
    If you are making smooth metal items then you really do need a proper polishing set up. A tumbler and a dremel aren't really up to a great polish.
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Hi Steph, and welcome to the forum.
    1. When tight angles fail to polish in a tumbler, it is because the needles in your mixed shot are not fine enough, or you are not tumbling for long enough. About six hours or overnight is about right.
    You can buy extra fine shot at more expense, or brush the resistant places before tumbling, using a wet and soapy jewellers brass brush, as a pre treatment.

2.Patination of silver results in a dark grey colour, and can be enhanced by a light waxing with posh Renaissance Wax, or a much cheaper domestic wax furniture spray followed by a very soft cloth.
    The best solutions to use are Platinol, or Noirit. Both equally good, but Noirit is cheaper volume per volume