Thread: Making a Delft Clay flask.

Default Making a Delft Clay flask.

Hi all hope you’re happy and well,
    i’ve just finished making a long casting flask for ring shanks, I tried to keep the design simple so it can be made with basic tools (no welding needed).

Thanks to all your help, support and encouragement over the last year my channel has now been monetised so I hope you don’t find the short adverts too annoying but it gives me the chance to potentially earn some money from home doing what I enjoy.

Please check out my latest video if you’re interested in Delft Clay casting … I hope it makes sense.

Here’s a link https://youtu.be/tM5fhFKHNBs
    Thanks … all the best … Nick

Nick well done, I would have lost patience and gone with brazing or welding, but I suppose if you don't have access, there is more than one way to skin a cat, cast came out well too, all added up to a great finish.

Hi China, thanks for your comment, yes I did think about quickly throwing it together with a welder, but had second thoughts about trying to show how something like this can be made with basic tools that more people have. You never know when casting like this it can be a bit hit and miss sometimes. Luckily it came out fine the first time and I didn’t have to redo it all again.
    The only problem I had was bending such a thick shank neatly. Need to buy or make a tool for it next time … All the best to you …. Nick
    Last edited by nicks creative stuff; 16-05-2022 at 09:06 PM.

Hi Nick I usually resort to a big hammer, a big vise and a suitable piece of round steel.

Hi china, i used a big vice one time to pack Delft Clay … works really well … i’ve often wondered what it would be like to use petrobond and scale things up a bit to attempt casting more sculptural stuff with bronze … Another one on the list to try … cheers … Nick

I have tried Petrobond and it does not give a finish as fine Delft although it is less than half the price here, so bit more elbow grease my be worth it to offset the cost.
    There is a bloke down here who is trying to make his own version of Delft have not heard from him for awhile I will have to give him a hoy.

I’ve heard Petrobond can vary in quality and grain size depending who’s made it. I absolutely adore Delft clay, had some fantastic results with this premium product. Definitely would stick with it for a small miniature jewellery style castings. Reluctant to scale up and do sculptural size castings with my precious D.C. Would be great to find a recipe with simple ingredients to try DIY Oil bonded sand. I’ll be interesting to hear if your friend managed to make anything. Nice one … Nick