Hi, I am fairly new to jewellery making and completely new to this forum. I am making my first brooches and it has been a far more technical journey than I expected, lots of brooch pin melting, melting the brooch itself, breaking fittings and trying to buy or make the right fittings. My most recent purchase was a fichu joint which I have had difficulty finding out how to fit, until I looked on here. Thank you Dennis for your advice to someone else about how to do it - I had filed it flat and soldered it on standing up, which I have actually got to work. My question is should I solder it or any other attachments from underneath, as the heat often seizes catches up etc, when applied on the same side. However I don't want to risk melting the silver, which is what I work in - this piece is 0.5mm thick. I'm going to test out the fichu joint on it's side (as I now it's supposed to be), but wonder if this joint is even the right one for a brooch which will attach diagonally and if a fichu joint will allow enough space for the pin to go through thick material? I would really appreciate any advice to do with the above. Thank you.