Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Delft Clay Casting

Default Delft Clay Casting

After the recent discussion on delft clay casting it has made me curious to look into it. My main question is about the type of torches which can be used to melt the metal suitably for pouring from the crucible. I currently only have a micro torch that I use for everything I do, and wondered if this is suitable for melting metal quantities for smaller castings? If not, would something like a blow torch from a hardware store suffice? I just don't have the space for the larger one typically used, and have to pack everything up once I'm done playing.

Also, I know Jason just purchased the clay and rings, but was curious to know if it is worth buying the kit with the DVD? I've seen all the vids on Youtube, and a few others, and it really seems simple enough in theory - does the DVD cover anything more advanced than simple designs? If not, I think I will be taking Jasons route.

Any advice much appreciated!

I just bought the clay and an aluminium ring. I found plenty of resources on line, like YouTube that gave me the process from start to finish, and any queries I had were answered as best as they could be on here. I'll probably look up more info abou tit before I give it ago, but I didn;t really see the need for the DVD based on what I have found out already.
    Lucinda

But can ye use a micro torch for melting or do you need a bigger one?

Thanks Lucinda - that was what I thought. I was just wondering if anyone who had the DVD had watched it, because if it details how to do more detailed castings I might be interested - all the ones on I've found on the web seem to be about casting quite basic shapes.

And yes - Anyone who has experience with melting can you get away with a micro torch, or will it not sustain a high enough level of heat whilst melting and pouring? If you can, or if you can use a diy home blowtorch (I think screwfix and B&Q have some that heat to 1500-1700 degrees C relatively cheaply), and my guess is these may be a good halfway house.

I tried using my microtorch to melt the silver and it was awful, I couldn't keep all of the silver molten ( I've had it two years though so it may just be wearing out ! ) So I bought the max flame hand torch from Cooksons (hurrah for freepost!!)(Product Code: 999 955B ) which has a max temperature of 2450 degrees with an adjustable flame and does the job perfectly adequately.

Be sure to let us know how you get on Paul, it took me all week to get the hang of this and there is still room for improvement!

There have been other posts on this topic. I think it might have been titled melting scrap. And George said there that the DIY store torches are fine to use. They reach the same temperature as the one at Cooksons. Would be interested to know how you get on if you get a DIY store one Paul.
    Linda

When I give the casting a go, I'll be doing it with a DIY store torch. A 'proper' torch is on my list but a way off yet!
    Lucinda

Quote Originally Posted by Lindyloo View Post
    There have been other posts on this topic. I think it might have been titled melting scrap. And George said there that the DIY store torches are fine to use. They reach the same temperature as the one at Cooksons. Would be interested to know how you get on if you get a DIY store one Paul.
    Thank you Linda - I didn't realise it had already been covered. In case anyone else wants to refer to that thread it's here.

I think I'll first give it a go with my existing torch, but suspect it isn't quite powerful enough to melt the quantities I will need for casting bearing in mind the extra needed for sprues etc.

Quote Originally Posted by agent_44 View Post
    When I give the casting a go, I'll be doing it with a DIY store torch. A 'proper' torch is on my list but a way off yet!
    Do you know which one you'll be using?

Hi Paul

I've used the Taymar T1750 bought from Homebase and it has been fine, it was just the job for me!

I'd love to know how you get on, cheers