Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Delft Clay Casting

So what's the difference between smelting and melting?

1 s! Duh! Actually i'm not 100% myself but I think it's relating to separating the metals, i.e. extracting the silver from the additives (copper?) and similar with gold etc. I might be wrong but that was my understanding.

Just checked on the OED and this is the posh definition:

smelt1

• verb - extract (metal) from its ore by a process involving heating and melting.

Just wondering how everyone got on with the delft clay casting?

I have bought the bits and pieces and ended up buying a butane/propane mix torch from B&Q - it does melt the metal, but takes a while - it says it can reach a temp of 1650 degrees. As for actually casting anything properly yet, I haven't really given it a proper go yet - just too busy... my OH had OFSTED last week so the weekend I got everything I was roped into going in to her school to help get ready, we went to norfolk coast for the weekend and I've been to Paris with work...I think I'm home this weekend so am planning to play around a bit but no doubt it will end up being busy with other boring things that have to be done (cleaning, shopping etc)...

Incidentally - how long should it take to melt silver - I know there are variables, like how much you are trying, but if someone can give me any tangible indication that would be great, and would let me assess the torch I bought.

I have done a bit of this type of casting in my class - a small hand torch won't produce enough heat in the flame to get the metal really hot to melting point I would suggest. Normally we use a blowtorch with a wide head to produce a bushy flame. The metal has to be heated till it spins and then the flame held over it while you pour very quickly.

Steady hands and strong nerves required and molten metal very dangerous if lands on you!

Gerry

A lot of the canister torches suffer from flaring until they've warmed up; I wouldn't tip either of my Bernzomatics until they had run for a minute or two.

Sievert's easier though, just fractionally less portable.

When I read the instructions (which I rarely do), it did say to leave it on for a minute on a stable surface for at least one minute - just like you suggest Peter. When I've done this it hasn't flared at all (yet).

Jason - the couple of times I have used it, although it has taken a while to get there, the silver has rolled as you suggest, so I think it may be ok - just not had enough time to play properly yet.

I cannot really upgrade due to lack of space as well as the safety implications - one day we'll get a bigger house where I can have a room all to myself for all manner of jewellery things!

my torch is evil, i use a cutting torch and it sooner look at a metal then it is melted... evil i tell ye