Thread: Hollow Gold Balls/Spheres

Default Hollow Gold Balls/Spheres

Hello,

I would like to create hollow gold spheres/balls with added decorations to use as beads. I have been unable to find any good information. I understand the basic concept but hoping before my first attempt someone can share some guidance, where to begin, do's, don't's, best practices, etc. I will try my first in fine silver but my goal is to use 22k gold.

Thanx,
    Lo

Hi en diva,
    Two hole gold balls are available from Cookson, and elsewhere on line.
    For reasons of economy they will be quite thin, so the stronger option would be 18 carat.

Making them yourself could be quite challenging, because the depressions in doming blocks do not form true half spheres, so you have to take time to work the metal up higher than usual.
    Also soldering them together cleanly, with solder on the inside, takes practice.

Lastly, you will have noted from previous forum threads, the recommended metal for practice is copper. Dennis.

Hello Dennis,

I am up for the challenge and my goal is to work in 22k. I was considering once I got to the 22k that it would be possible to fuse the halves together once determining how to stabilize them. I have seen finished examples in 22k but sadly no information on the technique is available.

Thank you for your response,
    Lo

Ah, you intend to fuse them. I've done some of that with Argentium silver.

In this case its a good idea to make an undersized hole in the top of each dome first. That will provide ventilation. Once joined the hole size and alignment can be perfected by inserting a broach or a bead reamer right through.

To fuse, you flux, omit the solder, but proceed as if soldering. Stop as soon as the joint is closed.
    If there is a small gap, it will tend to open more instead, so the parts need to fit well.

Auroflux is good for this as it does not bubble much.

To support the ball a small depression in your soldering block will do with the top half just balanced, or you can use a gentle clamp like the top one in my picture, made from stainless steel, or titanium strip from Cookson.

Please let us know how you get on. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Soldering Clamps.jpg  

Thank you so much Dennis, this is exactly the type of information I was hoping for!