Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quartz inlay ring advice

Default Quartz inlay ring advice

Hi all.

I am planning on making an inlay ring with some quartz I have.

Is there a preferable glue to hold it in place or will super glue work Ok?

This will be my first inlay ring so any advice would be welcomed.

Josh

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Hi Josh, and welcome to the forum.

You have not given enough information to advise you, and you can't yet post pictures.
    Can you describe the shape of the quartz that you have, and/or send the URL to a website that shows something similar.

If you are new to jewellery making, I presume that you have a ring ready made? Dennis.

Hi.

Yes I have made several rings before so happy with that process.

The quartz I have is currently a 2cm lump. I intend to break it up into 1-2mm pieces and infill any gaps with silver fillings.

I cannot yet post links either.

Thanks

Hi LedburyJosh,

I can't advise anywhere near the depth that Dennis can, but I've always used something called CA (cyanoacrylate) glue.
    I get it at a local hobby/craft/modelmaking store.

How it differs from Super-Glue in results I couldn't tell you, but google seems to say it's the same thing.

You could glue the stones in place and then encase them in an enamelling resin .

If you do plump for superglue, get the gel preparation. Much easier to handle as it doesn't run everywhere. Plus get the glue remover at the same time because you will still get glue on everything and also glue your thumb to your nose at some stage.
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

OK thank you.

I'm not familiar with enamaling resin. Is this something I could pick up from a DIY store or hobbycraft?

This is the one I have purchased on advice from someone https://www.cooksongold.com/Resins-a...rcode-860-037A . I will be using it with a cup turner which spins the ring at a really slow speed while the resin hardens so that it doesnt bunch up . For the last few years I have used all sorts of things to some degree but none are hard wearing , long lasting . This stuff is seemingly scratch resistant which is a big plus . There is a Facebook group where there are a lot of helpful people https://www.facebook.com/groups/717165421968531

Quote Originally Posted by Rotsco View Post
    Hi LedburyJosh,

I can't advise anywhere near the depth that Dennis can, but I've always used something called CA (cyanoacrylate) glue.
    I get it at a local hobby/craft/modelmaking store.

How it differs from Super-Glue in results I couldn't tell you, but google seems to say it's the same thing.
    Yes, cyanoacrylate ( as opposed for instance to acrylic, or epoxy)is the chemical name for superglue.
    It comes in various degrees of viscosity, and a variety of setting times, to fill gaps and make it easier to use.
    Prices also vary wildly, so don't go for tiny amounts in applicator bottles.

As for this thread, I am still struggling to understand the advantage of the project over conventional flush setting. Hopefully we will eventually be rewarded by a picture of the finished ring. Dennis.

Alumi-UV Resin is a great way to finish it. you can use a cheap nail curing light to set it as long as the wave length matches