Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Awol

I'm delighted to report that after almost two weeks in ICU I'm now safely at home and seem to be making progress in the right direction. I never did make it to a ward, and it was a curious way to spend Easter. Still no idea what caused it all, and we may never know, but I seem to have responded to massive doses of steroids, which of course have caused their own new set of problems. Better than the alternative, however!

Not an experience I would wish on anyone, but I am in awe of the skill, dedication and care provided by the amazing NHS staff who looked after me.

Glad you are home now George. It probably the best place to recover now. Take care xx

Good to to hear you came through it, always annoying when they can't determine a cause, is NHS the public system over there.

Wishing you a speedy recovery George. I did write something similar before, but forgot to press reply. Is there a cure for that? Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    Good to to hear you came through it, always annoying when they can't determine a cause, is NHS the public system over there.
    Yes, our National Health Service is amazing for emergencies and critical care, but on its knees in just about every other regard right now.

Now I'm at the mercy of our appalling GP, who seems to have used the excuse of the pandemic to not actually physically see a patient or go into the surgery for over two years, preferring to just do telephone consultations from home and occasionally do a car park vaccination session (extra money for that), and the totally overwhelmed outpatients system, with its multi-year waiting lists and missing staff.

But I'm feeling a little better every day, and I'm hugely grateful for that.

The reason I asked is here in Australia the public system is Medicare, and there seems to be a line drawn that says if you are public patient, you a lower level of care, this has not been my experience.