Thread: Jewellery Making Book from the Early 1990's?

Default Jewellery Making Book from the Early 1990's?

Hello all, I first became interested in silversmithing in the early 1990's, when I was a young un I remember buying a book about jewellery making from Waterstones in Nottingham, and that it had metalworking techniques and so on. It was (I think) a square shape, maybe around 20 cm by 20 cm in size, and hardback. When I bought it, there weren't many to choose from. It was quite expensive for a book then (for me on a rubbish salary anyway!) - maybe around £18.

The cover had several shots of metal working and finished pieces. I LOVED that book, and I'd love to try to pick it up from eBay now, as my original copy hasn't survived house moves/growing up! I have tried Googling, but no luck. I don't recall the author or publisher.

I don't suppose (long shot) this rings any bells with anyone? Thanks for any thoughts.

Can you describe any of the projects in it? Assuming it was a projects-based one (given it was Waterstones).

Hi Dolly, wrack your brains for more clues:
    Was it a book for beginners, or more comprehensive?
    Was the author a man, or a woman?
    Were they from UK, or USA?
    Did it set projects?

Two common jewellery making books in the 1990s were these
    https://www.google.com/search?channe...+Sylvia+Wickes
    https://www.google.com/search?channe...+tim+mccreight. Dennis.

I had the Sylvia Wicks one in my head too Dennis

Thanks so much all, I haven't spotted it yet (but I might order a couple of those books anyway). I really appreciate your thoughts. The only other thing I can clearly recall was that there was a section on cuttlefish casting, which was my first introduction to it - completely blew me away. I even found a local fishmonger who could supply me with cuttlefish for pennies!

Thanks again.