Thread: Twisiting Sheet Metal

Default Twisiting Sheet Metal

Here goes with my first question - be gentle with me as I am a complete novice and new to silversmithing. Apologies if it has been asked before - I have looked on here and can't find anything.

I have been inspired by a bracelet that I own to make somethign similar myself. I would like to 'twist' or 'curl' sheet metal so that it can either hang as a pendant or be threaded on to cord (to make a necklace). If I have done it right you should see a couple of images to give you an idea of what I am hoping to achieve. Any tips gratefully received

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	twisted 1.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	13320Click image for larger version. 

Name:	twisted.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	13321

Yes, you're doing beautifully, and if you persevere with your experiments, you will end up with some unique pieces.

If you have not done so already, I would urge you to buy some copper sheet online so that you can indulge in more experiments without blowing your budget.
    It works similar to silver, but hardens more quickly, so will need frequent annealing. There are lots of options, just matter of finding the cheapest. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Copper-Shee...013472565&th=1

You might also consider getting a motor, so that you can finish the insides of small curves, possibly to a matte or satin look for contrast. Dennis.

Thanks Dennis

During my workshops I used both copper and silver during the workshops I attended but since setting myself up at home I have used mainly copper to experiment with. I did also buy a few lengths of silver wire to make bangles (which I did in a workshop). After several failed attempts and getting cross with myself I stuck with it and finally cracked it!

I did ask my tutor how to 'curl' silver or copper but we ran out of time hence why I'm asking here. Do you have any tips on how to do it?

When you say motor - are you referring to a Dremmel? If so - I have one of those but what do you suggest is the best way to polish with it? Which attachment do you find is best? So far I have used a brass brush and elbow grease

It's mostly a matter of experiment. That's how we all develop our pieces.
    To twist strip, you clamp one end in a vice, and grip the other with pliers. Alternatively you can wind them around a metal rod or wooden stick.
    To fit them to a wrist, you bend them around a bracelet mandrel, having marked the place which matches the wrist. Wooden mandrels are the cheapest
    You might also investigate anticlastic raising.

You can use your Dremel with accessories such as these. The Scotchbrite ones are used dry, and the cotton mop ones with a compound such as from the Luxi series.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194900940...RoC1AwQAvD_BwE

A brass brush is best use wet and soapy, to prevent transfer of brass. Dennis.

Thanks Dennis!

I have found some really good tutorials on You Tube (what did we do before the internet eh?) and have been experimenting a little. I've had some disasters but its all about trial and error. Thanks for the advice about twisting - I will give it a go when I've had more practice.

I have had another go at making another bangle but I just can't seem to get the hang of soldering the two ends. I know the join has to be spot on flush and to me it looks OK but can I get it to solder - can I heck! I will persevere though and one day....

Bangles notoriously dissipate heat. There is little hope of soldering them unless you have a big hot torch.
    You will know already, that the temperature of the flame is not the same as the heat output.
    The ends also separate when the bangle is heated, unless prevented from doing so with a clamp, or binding wire.

Failing a professional torch, you could manage with a plumbers brazing torch, such as the Go-System. You could add an unauthorised metal clip, to reduce the air intake a little, making the flame more bushy. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ms. Crossed Clips In Use After James Miller.jpg   Hand Held Torch Modified.jpg  
    Last edited by Dennis; 13-04-2022 at 04:00 PM.