Thread: Copper Patina

Default Copper Patina

Using this piece of found copper for a necklace. It's going to be prong set. My question is do I need to seal the patina?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220406_152030_compress34.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	13318

It will continue to darken, but very slowly, over time Sheena. Sealing it with a gloss lacquer, brush on or spray will give it a wet look. Matte or satin lacquer will retard darkening, but will add substantially to the cost. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    It will continue to darken, but very slowly, over time Sheena. Sealing it with a gloss lacquer, brush on or spray will give it a wet look. Matte or satin lacquer will retard darkening, but will add substantially to the cost. Dennis.
    Thanks Dennis, I'm not keen on the idea of a wet look and I was in a bit of a rush so just put it together as it was. How hard wearing it'll be is debatable.
    I think I could have done the bail better. Maybe hidden it behind the seaglass but there's always next time.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220406_162424_compress54.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	12.7 KB 
ID:	13319

You could wax the surface I would be a bit concerned about the pointy bits, just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    You could wax the surface I would be a bit concerned about the pointy bits, just my opinion.
    Do you mean the prongs? They do look a bit sharp in the photo. I'll check them over, thanks

Yes they do not look like they would pass the silk tie test, may just be the photo.