Thread: 18K lug on watch - possible to re-shape/ re-fit?

Default 18K lug on watch - possible to re-shape/ re-fit?

Hello!

I recently bought a watch which has a badly damaged lug (18K gold). The lug is quite deformed in shape. It is aesthetically poor, holds the watch strap bar insecurely and at an odd angle to the watch body.

I expect it has been damaged in the past and an amateur repair attempted. I imagine the minimum needed here is a removal of the lug, re-shaping, and re-attachment to the watch such that the strap bar can attach reliably.

Is this something that can reasonable be achieved? Is this an expensive or difficult repair?

Many thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	o7.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	13309Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Om1.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	50.2 KB 
ID:	13310Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Om5.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	40.0 KB 
ID:	13311
    Last edited by Fleur_the_rabiit; 29-03-2022 at 10:40 AM. Reason: add photo

Another photo:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Om2.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	13312

As you have already determined the part will need to be rebuilt, probably more a job for a watchmaker, movement face and crystal will have to be removed the part repaired or a new part made and soldered in place if the watch is plated then it will need to re plated
    but a very doable repair I can't suggest a price as I don't know what UK jewellers charge, although it would not be cheap, you would have to compare it to the value of the watch.

Can a laser be used to remove the lug without disassembly?

The watch is solid 18K, but the lug was made by folding a sheet of 18K gold rather than casting.

Any idea of cost scale? Euro 0-100 or more 200-500?

You could possibly cut the lug off, make a new one and laser it on. I would still take it apart to do.then refinish the case. The metal would be more than your first figure I would imagine.

It's probably quite a difficult task to copy an existing lug from scratch - bend it from sheet 18K.

It certainly sounds very skilled!

Mmmm......is there any mileage in trying to re-shape the existing one?

You could scan it ,make a replica lug from that and then print and cast it then laser it on. Gold is very mailable there's a good chance you can reshape and burnish the damage out I think that may be worth a try before you cut it off

I have never seen a watch case where the lugs are made from folded sheet.

I's easy enough to replicate the damaged part, either from sheet, or by casting. However any attempt to adjust it once in place is liable to distort the watch back, and render it useless.
    Best left to someone experienced, but labour and materials will be very expensive, as already mentioned.

You might consider removing the straps, cutting off the damaged part and its mate, and then hanging it from a pin and ribbon, like a nurses watch. They wear them upside down, which would work here. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 30-03-2022 at 02:45 PM.