Thread: Metal Pickle Pot

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Metal Pickle Pot

I follow a number of jewellers on Instagram and keep seeing people using a small metal pot to hold their pickle. They heat it up with their torch on the side (as pictured). I've never seen or heard of these but think it could suit me a lot better as I am a hobbyist and my slow cooker takes an awfully long time to heat up appropriately. For one piece every week or so its really inefficient.

Can anyone tell me where I could get one or what to look for? I assume it couldnt be steel as that would spoil the pickle but would other metals be okay? aluminium perhaps?

ThanksClick image for larger version. 

Name:	image0 (1).jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	7.6 KB 
ID:	13303

I have seen this too, and thought I want to try it maybe its stainless steel I'm not sure. I think stainless would have more chemical resistance than aluminum ?

I've used a stainless bowl in the past, it was one I nicked from the kitchen, I used it with dilute sulphuric acid. I find it far more convenient to use a crock pot, much less fumy and less likely to overheat.

I use tea lights under a pyrex pot.
    Poor old Les

I am old school or maybe stuck in a rut but I think heating the pot with a torch would be too much bother

Why waste time heating it with a torch when electricity can do the job. Small crock pots only take about 10 mins to heat up enough water to do the jobs and once I can’t stand the lid rattling I turn it off and then turn on again when I reuse. Stainless steel has been the metal of choice on the hob but you don’t really want the fumes of even safety pickle when not necessary

My first pickle bath, was a Pyrex dish with a lid on a table top electric ring, set to low. It heated up quickly, but I then replaced it with a slow cooker, which controls the temperature better and does not generate acid loaded steam.
    I favour an oval shape, as it accommodates longer pieces. Dennis.

Dennis and CJ57…..Snap!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a slow cooker for my pickle on the same power strip as my overhead light, my drills and my iPad Mini. I leave the switches on the extension strip on most of the time for the lamp and the pot, turning the whole extension strip off at the main plug. That way as soon as I get to the bench I turn the strip back on and the pot starts to warm up. If I remember to switch it up to high then it heats up in a relatively short time and I then switch it to low or warm at which temperature the pickle takes a little bit longer than high but doesn't steam and bubble.

Previously I have used a glass jam jar which held less safety pickle. I had a basket from one of those liquid jewellery cleaners that you dunk your rings into and warmed up the plastic to bend up the sides to be able to put the basket in and out of the jar. This jar sat on a coffee cup warmer which was plugged into a USB port on the power strip. Again once I turned the strip on when I got to the bench the warmer would start up and gradually warm up the pickle.

You could always keep an eye out for a used baby bottle warmer on freecycle/facebook etc. If any of your friends/family have just had babies you could always baggsies and double dibbs theirs for when the wee one is weaned.