Thread: Hole drilling - lapidary services

Default Hole drilling - lapidary services

Hello,

I would like to get drilled 4 mm faceted round gemstones and I'm looking for contacts that offer this service.
    I would like the hole to be made in the top part of the stone table, so that a jump ring and pass through and the stone can be used as a pendant without any setting.

Do you any reliable and not too expensive contacts? I'm based in London but I could ship the stones too.

Thanks for your help.

Hello Electray,
    Unfortunately as a design idea that is a non starter.

There is little hope of drilling a faceted 4mm faceted stone to accept a jump ring without cracking it. Apart from that, drilling gemstones could more than double the price.

Your best resort would be to buy faceted drilled beads online, possibly from Etsy. If the holes turn out to be too narrow, you might also need a diamond hand reamer for beads. Dennis.

As Dennis has said not a good idea trying to drill a stone that size .

Hi John,
    Good to know you are still keeping an eye on things. Kind regards, Dennis.

Thank you all for your precious advice. I'm glad I asked before starting off.

Out of curiosity, what do you think would be the minimum size this could be possible?

How do you think the jewellery brand Persee managed to drill the holes? An example of their necklace: https://brokenenglishjewelry.com/col...42267500806361

First of all, they have been drilled just inside the girdle, not through the table as you thought. The size might be a little bigger, say 5-6mm.
    They might have been specially cut without a scratchy culet to irritate the skin.
    The holes could be narrow, as gold jump rings are quite strong.
    How they were drilld will be their professional secret.
    My first suggestion stands. Dennis.

Look at the price tag lol , That is to cover the cost of all the stones they chipped while trying to drill holes . Always keep my eye open for any Lapidary work Dennis lol .

Thank you Dennis for you reply. All your assumptions make total sense. Have a lovely day.