Thread: Can you leave jewelry too long in the pickle?

Default Can you leave jewelry too long in the pickle?

Hey guys,

2-3 weeks ago I melted down some 925 Sterling silver and put these in the pickle to remove firescale.
    I was busy and forgot to get them out so they were in the pickle about 2.5 weeks.

Just wondering if there could be any problems while working with them in the future or if the pickle penetrated the metal quiet deep, don't want any pickle left in the piece after neutralizing them...

They look completely normal from the outside and there are no solder joints or anything else, just pure 925 silver.

Theres probably nothing wrong with them, but I rather ask some professionals to be sure

Greetings,
    Erik

Hi Erik, short answers.
    1. Safety pickle will just dissolve the dark cuprous oxide which appears at the surface of sterling on heating.
    2. What is known as fire stain is deeper down, and can only be removed by aggressive sanding, or strong acid.
    3. Exposing your sterling to safety pickle for an extend time, especially if much used, can cause it to turn dark and unsightly.

I doubt you have any problems, as they have not shown any signs of degradation I'm guessing your pickle is pretty well depleted or was of a low strength to begin with, once you have placed it in the Baking Soda any further reaction should cease.

Thanks for your answers!

Hi Erik, short answers.
    1. Safety pickle will just dissolve the dark cuprous oxide which appears at the surface of sterling on heating.
    2. What is known as fire stain is deeper down, and can only be removed by aggressive sanding, or strong acid.
    3. Exposing your sterling to safety pickle for an extend time, especially if much used, can cause it to turn dark and unsightly.
    Nothing turned dark, only the "normal" matt grey which seems to be normal while pickling sterling silver.

I doubt you have any problems, as they have not shown any signs of degradation I'm guessing your pickle is pretty well depleted or was of a low strength to begin with, once you have placed it in the Baking Soda any further reaction should cease.
    That was mostly the only thing I was concerned about, that the pickle went deep into the metal and doesn't get neutralized completely from the baking soda. The pickle is indeed at really low strength and always at room temperature.

When the silver comes out of the pickle it should be almost white if it’s really clean. As Dennis and Bob have already said it cleans the surface of the metal and isn’t absorbed. Not sure what it would do if it had been a sulphuric acid solution for 2 weeks though!

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    The pickle is indeed at really low strength and always at room temperature.
    If you are intent on making something, and using safety pickle, then its hot and strong and in and out quickly, or it won't be ready for Christmas. Dennis.

I normally put my pieces in for about 1-2 hours and they come out clean. I'm using pH-down for my pickle solution, still searching for a method to keep it warm since I could not find a suitable crockpot.

But if you guys say that there will not be any health or work issues, I'll just get them out and start working

Any cheap crockpot will do, £20 from Amazon or eBay. Hot and quick is best so an old pan on the hob would do in the short term. I hate to think what the sulphuric bath did on the heat all day 10 ft away for 3 years. Health and safety wasn’t really a thing in the 70s!

My safety pickle (citric acid) is in an old coffee jar with a plastic lid. It sits in an old baby bottle warmer ( £5 from charity shop) and keeps nice and hot.

5 minutes is usually enough for it to come out clean and white. I have also forgotten about it once or twice and it's always been fine (luckily I had turned the warmer off and was relying on residual heat)