Thread: Mounting 4mm tigers eyes cabs onto 0.8mm silver discs of 10mm

Default Mounting 4mm tigers eyes cabs onto 0.8mm silver discs of 10mm

Being flat backed, to me this presents a problem. Possibly cut a “housing” into a smaller diameter piece of sheet, then work the silver over the edge of the cab having soldered the “housing onto the disc first? I have been asked to make a pair of earrings to compliment a 12mm tigers eye cab on a 20mm diam disc that I made as a pendant. Please note this photo was of the prototype, the final one is better finished!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think you have more or less solved it David.

No reason to cut the back plate. Just mark where the bezel has to go, gently round its bottom outer edge to hold back the meniscus of liquid solder, and use the minimum, placed on the inside of the bezel only.

Sometimes cabochons have a very rounded bottom, and become more stable if you place a thin jump ting of the same size inside the bezel before setting. This can be left loose and even not joined. Just sprung in.

Practice using less and less solder, because excess cannot be removed really successfully. Too little can be added to. Dennis.

Thanks for the rounding edge tip. The prob I had with the prototype was the very outer rim which was 1mm wire soldered onto the 22mm diam rondel. The bezel behaved perfectly on the second attempt. Would you blanch if I suggested a spot of araldite under the cab for the earring mount?!!!!
    David

I don't blanch easily, and modern resin base glues don't deteriorate quickly, but I dont really see the need. If bezels are of the right height they will hold.
    If sterling is too tough, use fine silver, or learn to use setting pliers, or both.

Returning to the subject of meniscus,
    1. The bezel material will automatically have the right edge if made by rolling wire in a mill.
    2. The outer rim of your example as shown would be best made from round wire, with tiny scraps of solder placed around the outside. For that I use a fine brush, dipped in flux. A more skilled person might use wire solder. Dennis.

Ah I see “where you are coming from”!
    My concern was that a 4mm diameter cab would be difficult to make a normal bezel for. I have some fine silver bezel strip 0.3 x 3mm height which I use for most of my bezels. I was concerned at 4mm diameter it might have been impractical. Thus my idea of mounting a say 6mm circle of silver onto the main circle of silver having drilled a 4mm hole through it. The thickness would have depended upon the actual shape of the cab wall so that somehow one could move the lip of this hole over the wall of the cab. Now I realise this will most probably be tantamount to impossible and using normal fine silver bezel far more practical. I just blanch at the thought of forming a 4mm diameter bezel !
    Yes the outer ring of the pendant was made from 1mm round wire but I put the solder minute chips on the inside……thanks so much for your advice there, to put them on the outside. I await delivery of the 4mm cabs from cooksons. On the second pendant I matted the surface of the disc using the fine abrasive pad you recommended to me ages ago. It in-fact worked remarkably well and camouflaged 90% of the solder creep of the outer ring.
    David.

If you do not want to make 4mm bezels you could always just purchase premade items

Hello China…..never thought of that one….durrrrr! Are the walls malleable enough to rub over?

Or you could use 5mm silver tubing, if you have a tube cutting jig and a 4mm seating burr.

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/1917...0aApTGEALw_wcB

The items I have used in the past are quite malleable and easy to rub over.

Yes , have 5mm tube and cutter and set of burrs! Didn’t even think inside the box! Ah well cabs arrive today. It always pays to take a breath and go back to basic principals !!
    David.