Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sievert professional Torch Kit propane question

Default Sievert professional Torch Kit propane question

Hi guys,

Sorry if this question has been asked before. I had a quick read but couldn't find any solution.

I recently bought a Sievert Pro Torch Kit, and it arrived today.

I brought my torch with me to the local hardware woodies shop to buy a Propane gas cannister.

When I asked the guy in the shop would the torch fit the cannister we both looked at it, and it doesn't seem to fit. Now I am wondering did I buy the wrong torch or do I need another regulator. I bought the set up from Hamilton Gas.

I have attached a couple of photos of the set up and the bottle of propane, and wondering if anyone can offer some advice on what I might be missing.

Thanks for any help offered.
    Eamon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20220225_191159 copy.jpg   20220225_191249 copy.jpg   20220225_191926 copy.jpg   20220225_191314 copy.jpg  

The fitting on your Sievert is a standard POL fitting - any decent supplier of Calor (or similar) cylinders should be able to rent you one; you'll need a suitable spanner too. Over here, anywhere that stocks gas for caravans/rural users/etc. tends to have them.

The fitting on the cylinder you've been offered is a patio gas QR fitting, usually sold for barbecues & patio heaters. I don't have polite things to say about them. They're used with low-pressure regulators - and your torch needs more oomph than that.

Dunno if this might help - https://www.calorgas.ie/retailers
    There are other suppliers of propane too...

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your reply. Yes the torch is fitted with a POL type regulator already.

I dropped into my local shop just now as they are a supplier of Calorgas.ie and he advised that i would probably need some kind of regulator.

I din't buy any gas today and had a quick look at the empty tank he had in stock. The fitting was the same as the other shop.

So I am wondering now Do I still need another part / like something that connects the bottle to the POL

I am thinking is it a Valve I need for the top of the bottle, or is that what i should ask the supplier for?
    Last edited by eamon; 25-02-2022 at 08:59 PM.

I've never found a QR->POL adapter, I'm afraid. The QR regulators are fixed at 37mbar, which is pointless for a Sievert.
    I think you'll need to find a "real" Calor supplier rather than a hardware shop - someone supplying to off-grid, blacksmithing or other industry. Obviously, I'm extrapolating here - I've tried that route before now (B&Q say they supply Calor propane, but it turns out only with patio gas fittings; went to a caravan supply place for my first bottle).

Equally, there's usually discarded bottles at the tip, but you'd still need to find someone who'd exchange them.

If you try the Calor site & use the "recommend a gas bottle" search, feed it "working outdoors" and "roofing torch" as the next choices. Whether that'll narrow down suppliers I don't know, but treating it as a roofing torch might help when asking around?

Thanks Peter. I will try the roofing torch approach and see where I get to. It looks like everything I got from Hamilton Gas is good but to find a bottle that will take my existing set up.

I will try the Link tomorrow and see how I go with it.
    Thanks again!
    Eamon

I've just got my Sievert torch and used these people, to get my regulator from. https://www.bes.co.uk/plumbing-supplies/plumbing/ I explained exactly what I had and it all seems to work fine.

Edited to say I've just looked at the pics again and it looks like my 'regulator' just has a decrease/increase indicator on the top. So should I have a regulator which allows me to set the pressure to a number, rather than just arrows???
    Last edited by Petal; 28-02-2022 at 01:16 PM.
    Jules

A new regulator is not needed, what's supplied in the Hamilton gas kit is fine.
    As for numbers on regulators - some have them, some don't. I've never needed to know what number setting it was it, I always start from the lowest setting and increase it until the flame is as I want it (and the setting will vary according to the nozzle).

I had a horrible job getting a cylinder ( Mine's the 8KG one) as there seems to be a distinct shortage of them at the moment.

In the end I got one from the local scrap merchant who is also a Flogas supplier. He had so many he actually just gave me the cylinder; I just had to pay for the gas. If you can't get Calor try Flogas suppliers . It's the same gas, just a different brand but as it's less known it seems to be in better supply

I had similar issues with supply and ended up with Flogas. The lack of supply is because the merchants are being charged more to service them and their service charges have trippled !
    Jules

Quote Originally Posted by Caro View Post
    I had a horrible job getting a cylinder ( Mine's the 8KG one) as there seems to be a distinct shortage of them at the moment.
    There is that issue in the UK of late, I don't know if it's a problem elsewhere. All of mine I've had for quite a while, so these days I only have to worry about exchange. And wince at the cost every time, of course.