Thread: Leaf stencils

Default Leaf stencils

I have not sourced so far small artificial leaf “stencils” to use in a rolling mill to emboss their shape and texture onto silver etc. I have some large ones for “necklaces”etc but am looking for earring and charm sizes now.
    David.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Go out into the garden select some leaves and dry them you may be surprised how well they work, (I was sceptical at first )

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    Go out into the garden select some leaves and dry them you may be surprised how well they work, (I was sceptical at first )
    Not a lot of good leaves here in Feb Bob unless they are juicy evergreens

David, you could photocopy then reduce the one you have and transfer it onto card and do a bit of cutting away.
    Have you tried Etsy? I’m waiting on my laser cut supplier in Saskatoon to come back from a break but while looking for others there seems to be huge amounts of standard patterns, it’s just a slog to find the one you want

Fair enough easy to forget you are in the middle of winter over there.

Roll them too fresh and the juice will make a mess. Roll them too dry, and they break up.

The easiest for rolling will be artificial leaf skeletons for crafters https://www.google.com/search?channe...ons+for+crafts.

If you need custom sizes, then you could put real leaves on a photocopier, and using the reduce function, create labels as suggested by Caroline.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cl Copper Leaf Brooch.jpg  

But if photocopied one can’t get the embossing effect on the silver when rolled together. This is what I am looking for. Thanks for the website. I am sure I will find what I want now.

Ah well, I withheld quite a lot of information, until asked for.

My copper leaf brooch was cut from 0.8 mm copper sheet.
    The label was made from a large plane leaf, reduced to size on a photocopier.

I then glued onto the front, pieces of iron binding wire, using superglue, wrapped it in paper, and passed it through my mill. This created the embossed veins, but required a couple of tries to get the pressure right.

Then the findings were soldered to the back and the piece pickled and scrubbed with a soapy brass brush. There was some light twisting and bending to make the leaf more realistic

Lastly the colour was added to the front by selectively heating with a mini torch. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 11-02-2022 at 09:25 PM.

Or you can print onto card and then you cut away with a craft knife so it’s in relief like a Lino cut and then put it through the mill

There are still masses of leaves to find when you go out walking. Oak leaves are particularly good for patterns through a mill. I usually place the leaves in a book with tissue so they can dry out fully.

Still amazes me the ingenuity and advice that you experienced folk show and share.
    Thank you all.
    David.