Thread: Silver plating at home

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Silver plating at home

I cast some silver shell earring in solid sterling which were very popular but I've a) almost run out of scrap silver and b) have many requests for a cheaper version.

I have plenty of copper and I was wondering about a silver plate version. Cooksons/Kernow/Walsh all seem to recommend a silver plating solution that you rub on. This seems awfully easy.

Does it work?

How robust is the plating?

As earring dangles they won't get the wear that rings or pendants are subject to so I was wondering about it. I really don't fancy setting up proper electroplating apparatus at the moment.

Any one any advice?

Yes it works.
    No it's not remotely robust. The coating isn't thick enough to withstand any handling.

Have you seen the description in Walsh's video? https://youtu.be/nwhO6qqyhrY

I did wonder - I may leave them plain copper then until I'm ready to tackle proper electroplating.

I hadn't seen the Walsh's one but I did see a few others.

Thanks

Yes the results are pathetic, and the solution has a short shelf life.

If you have sufficient volume of work, you might consider a professional plating service;https://www.google.com/search?channe...+for+jewellers.

If you make just a few, you could consider a battery plating pen:https://www.google.com/search?channe...er+plating+pen
    Last edited by Dennis; 03-02-2022 at 09:01 PM.

If you are on Instagram have a look through Goldpolishers posts. He is using plating pens and mentioned a few brands. I did have a look but they seem to be quite expensive. The rub on plating you mentioned used to be a favourite of antiques dealers for tarting up plated items for sale. I seem to remember you could buy it at antique fairs back in the day. I bought a bottle and it’s pretty rubbish

There's a DIY of making something similar I was taught - dissolve silver nitrate in water; add salt & dissolve until no more dissolves (silver chloride precipitates out). Filter, add some tartaric acid to the precipitate and rub the resulting paste onto a clean piece of copper (engraving in this case). Silver will gradually plate the copper. Clean & dry the copper carefully, then lacquer.

Hi Caro

Would not recommend brush plating for durability, the coating weight is difficult to be precise and it is generally very thin and does’nt last.

Instead of silver you could use copper or brass and have the pieces ceramic coated, that is a lot cheaper than plating with gold etc and lasts far longer. You can have Pantone matched colours and over 100 standard colours to choose from.

Our company provides technical support on colouring jewellery and offer cutting and finishing with CNC and high powered laser for most metals for jewellery.

Email me if you need help dmw@devanetbelts.co.uk