Hello everyone!
My name is Alana and I started making silver jewellery as a hobby around 5 years ago. I have mainly worked with Sterling Silver and Brass and created a few pieces I really love. However, I would like to kind of give a little upgrade to these pieces. Here is a picture of them:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	16.8 KB 
ID:	13277

They were made using Sterling Silver of 0.5mm thickness and wire of 0.8mm. They were oxidised, and that is exactly what I would like to change. What I would like to achieve is a darker and more durable black than the one you get with patina. I have been researching how could I possibly make this, and I came across enamelling. However, after reading tons about it, I have so many questions about the process and, ultimately, I am not sure using enamel would be a doable solution for this design. The main questions I have are (note that I have no formal education on jewellery making/silversmithing):
  • I understand that I have to depletion gild Sterling Silver in order to successfully enamel on it. However, in this piece I have three main details that are soldered into the main piece: the two wires and the little ball. Is it possible to depletion gild on Sterling Silver even if it has stuff soldered into? Must I use a specific solder rather than the usual one?
  • As for enamelling the piece I will have to keep in on hight temperature, I am worried that the soldered pieces will get detached or worse: that the wire details will melt. I aim to use the torch-fired enamel technique (I don’t have a kiln). Is this possible without compromising the piece? Will I have better luck in a kiln?
  • Once the piece is enamelled, how can I properly polish it? Is polishing even an option?
  • If this is a totally impossible design to enamel, do you recommend other materials (either another metal or another way of adding black)? Would I have better luck if I try to cast the design and thus no solder is involved?

I would really appreciate your help and thank you in advance for sharing your opinions on this 😊