Thread: Durston Agile C165 Question

Default Durston Agile C165 Question

Hi guys,

Just wondering if any of you are using the Durston Rolling mill Agile C165. I have recently purchased one and following the instructions it says that I should Oil the bearings once a week.

Just wondering could I use three in one oil or WD40? It doesn't mention which oil to use and kind of afraid to use standard oil if it's the wrong one.

Cannot get over the quality of this rolling mill having spent the last 5 years using the cooksons value range.

The difference is unbelievably amazing/.

Anyway thanks if anyone can advise!

Eamon

3 in 1 is better, wd40 is not an oil. engine oil is probs even better

Personally I would recommend Sewing machine oil, I don't use 3 in 1 for anything it leaves behind a shellac type coating that I do not like

It says self lubricating gear box, so there's precious little left to oil, and unless you use it day in day out at high speed speed, needless oiling will just build up a sticky resin.
    Personally I favour WD40 high performance silicone lubricant, which comes as a spray, and gets applied sparingly three or four times a year to any accessible threaded parts.
    It can also be used for wiping down the rollers, to remove small particles of grit, which can cause pockmarks on sheets.
    My Durston has performed well for over 25 years. Dennis.

I agree with Dennis, I always use WD40

Thanks I will have a look at that.

Thanks Dennis, I was thinking that with the gearbox it says only once a year to apply gear grease. I only use the mill once fortnightly, so shouldn't be an issue. But it did say in the manual where the springs are should be oiled once per week. I haven't done it yet as didn't want to use the wrong oil. I will have a look for the WD40 Silicone lubricant and apply sparingly to the springs. One thing on my fifth or sixth rolling of sheet, I noticed really micro white speckles on the sheet. I examined the rolls and there was tiny white dots on them which must have come from my cleaning with white spirits and kitchen roll. Luckily I was able to get most of the white specks of the rolls. Thanks for the tip!

Thank you China

Quote Originally Posted by eamon View Post
    Thanks Dennis, I was thinking that with the gearbox it says only once a year to apply gear grease. I only use the mill once fortnightly, so shouldn't be an issue. But it did say in the manual where the springs are should be oiled once per week. I haven't done it yet as didn't want to use the wrong oil. I will have a look for the WD40 Silicone lubricant and apply sparingly to the springs. One thing on my fifth or sixth rolling of sheet, I noticed really micro white speckles on the sheet. I examined the rolls and there was tiny white dots on them which must have come from my cleaning with white spirits and kitchen roll. Luckily I was able to get most of the white specks of the rolls. Thanks for the tip!
    Yes, treat it well and it will love you in return.
    If it turns out that the gear box is packed with stiff grease, then I think the grease will dry out with time, and no longer spread over the gears.
    I have never undone mine, but hope that the occasional insertion of the silicone spray tube under the casing will help to soften and spread it again.
    Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Yes, treat it well and it will love you in return.
    If it turns out that the gear box is packed with stiff grease, then I think the grease will dry out with time, and no longer spread over the gears.
    I have never undone mine, but hope that the occasional insertion of the silicone spray tube under the casing will help to soften and spread it again.
    Dennis.
    Thanks Dennis, Will keep that in mind. It really is a beautiful peace of Equipment. The quality of the wire & sheet that it produces is of a quality I am still amazed at. It makes work a joy everytime I need to use it. Delighted with my purchase! Thanks anyway!