Thread: Complete newbie!

Default Complete newbie!

Hi, I’ve only just started on my jewellery making adventure so this may be a really silly question! All the rings and bracelets that I seem to absolutely love are sandcast as I love the rough textures that can be achieved. My question is if you wanted to make sandcast rings to sell would you have to make the same ring from wax in every different size to be able to cast every size or is there a much easier way to do this? ����

you can size the wax if the design allows it

Quote Originally Posted by josef1 View Post
    you can size the wax if the design allows it
    Hi Josef, but if I start with making the smallest size in the wax as I make the ring bigger for all the other sizes the ring shaft will be getting thinner?

Sorry, I explained things wrong, you can cut the shank open it up and add wax or remove wax to get the size you need. I usually pick a size round the middle N or O. This seems to be the most popular sizes I sell. Then size it from there. If you are neat with the waxpen and always make sure you don't have any low spots its quick enough to clean up once you have cast them.

Quote Originally Posted by josef1 View Post
    Sorry, I explained things wrong, you can cut the shank open it up and add wax or remove wax to get the size you need. I usually pick a size round the middle N or O. This seems to be the most popular sizes I sell. Then size it from there. If you are neat with the waxpen and always make sure you don't have any low spots its quick enough to clean up once you have cast them.
    Thank you so much!! I’ll give it a go 😊