Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CNC router and plastic forms

It is available to the ordinary punter. An interesting article, this is an article about the same part which comes with a video.

https://hackaday.com/2020/03/10/form...-printed-dies/

Design of the tooling is all important. There are a few objects I want to make and was heading down the tin or lead press moulds that I've used before but I could be off down a different rabbit hole.

Very interesting- its a nice 3d printer, but I think at $4K+ a bit out of my price range for now.....Here are some progress shots of my project, The first one is a set of earrings, waiting for some stones to arrive to finish them off; and a second experiment, where I used the laser attachment on the cnc to burn away marker pen resist, and then electroetched a design that complements the design of the form. Pressing it out then gave the final shape- I think they might become a pendant. I need to practice my electroetching a bit more, not totally happy with the result. On the other hand the form and punch show no real sign of degradation.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220127_222713.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	13275Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220131_133137.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	13276

Cheers Matt
    Last edited by MMM Jewellery; 31-01-2022 at 03:45 AM.

I think the CNC plasma cutter & CNC mill he uses will set you back considerably more... I'm surprised that tough resin handled as much abuse as that, let alone the normal one.

He has done a follow up video that discusses the mould failure. He allowed for the thickness of the metal but the 3d software had an adaptive mode switched on which automatically adjusted the other part of the mould so there was no clearance hence the excessive pressures. Solving this issue allowed for the pressing of the parts without failure.

Hi

Cnc machining of plastics like Delrin is best with a single flute profile, we run at 20,000 rpm stepover if contoured 0.1 mm, stepdown 0.1mm, feed rate from 1000 to 3000 mm/min. We use special tools for this type of work.

Regarding cutting of sterling silver etc we have a 60 watt MOPA laser to do that, we can cut stainless, gold,silver,brass etc. settings are critical but very accurate detailed cuts are possible with no burring. Email me if you need help Dmw@devanetbelts.co.uk

Thanks- I suspect your machines would be very fun to play with! My specs aren't so high but I've got some single flute cutters to play with now. Just need some time to get into a new project and try them out.

I do like his work. Met him a couple of times.
    I wonder if that's lead or pewter being used for the form?

Given the health and safety concerns of lead these days I would think it's pewter(tin). I've only ever used lead but that was years ago. It's fully recyclable, the down side is that it can muck up your silver if there's any residue when annealing. It needs to be well cleaned first. There was a pot of muric acid(HCl) where I used to work which was kept outside on the fire escape, the item was dunked in there to remove the lead residue before rinsing and annealing.