Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Egg shape

Default Egg shape

Dear all,

I need some tips/expertise! I have a project which I want to tackle Basically, I want to make an egg.. hollow in sterling silver! Like the Faberge eggs.. Any tips on doing the actual hollow egg? Press forming? spinning? casting?.. I ordered some wooden eggs and am thinking of cutting one in half, putting on a lathe, and slowly (with lots of annealing) spinning it into shape (or try to!).. All feedback is appreciated!

Regards,

Mark
    from the little island of Malta

Sounds intriguing, but could you expand on the wooden half egg / spinning with annealing……….
    David

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You could cast it in silver. Maybe pour molten jewellers wax over half an egg then have a couple of them cast and solder together . You could cut a pattern out of the wax too its easier than metal.

Basically have a flat sterling silver sheet, and with a huge burnished push it to shape while on a lathe

Quote Originally Posted by josef1 View Post
    You could cast it in silver. Maybe pour molten jewellers wax over half an egg then have a couple of them cast and solder together . You could cut a pattern out of the wax too its easier than metal.
    this sounds interesting too! hmm!!

Our member James Miller has made lots of eggs. He might not see you here, but if you find him on twitter he will help you.
    https://www.google.com/search?channe...ih=766&dpr=1.2
    Dennis.

If you have the equipment "spinning" would be a very simple method, metal spinning is used is quite a few workshops to make hollow forms from all manner of metals as you mentioned annealing is very important, as soon as the metal stops moving it is time to anneal.

That said, you will always need to make the hollow shell in two parts, and for most methods it will be easier to make two identical vertical halves, and the join them.
    For instance you could lay the master form (suitably covered in kitchen foil, or a separating medium) half way into self curing acrylic, supported in a metal box.
    This would give you the mould for making two identical halves, for instance using a hydraulic press.

Alternatively, you could abandon using sheet metal, blow the contents out of a real egg, and electro form the silver onto the shell. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    If you have the equipment "spinning" would be a very simple method, metal spinning is used is quite a few workshops to make hollow forms from all manner of metals as you mentioned annealing is very important, as soon as the metal stops moving it is time to anneal.
    Got a normal lathe at work.. maybe I can try on that!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    That said, you will always need to make the hollow shell in two parts, and for most methods it will be easier to make two identical vertical halves, and the join them.
    For instance you could lay the master form (suitably covered in kitchen foil, or a separating medium) half way into self curing acrylic, supported in a metal box.
    This would give you the mould for making two identical halves, for instance using a hydraulic press.

Alternatively, you could abandon using sheet metal, blow the contents out of a real egg, and electro form the silver onto the shell. Dennis.
    Will contact James for some tips! The acyrcillic idea popped in my had, as well as 3d printed and press form it.. loads of ideas!