Thread: Anyone got the Max Flame butane torch.

Default Anyone got the Max Flame butane torch.

I am looking for a bigger torch than the usual Creme Brûlée micro torches. I can't go for separate tanks and hose.
    I have shortened my list to Cooksons Max Flame, but cant really judge power, and the Blazer Big Buddy.
    There are a couple of interest on Amazon too.

Any thoughts guys, is it worth the substantial increase in cost for those two and any experience with them. Thanks.

There are lots of threads on this, but this might be useful https://www.cooksongold.com/forum/sh...ighlight=torch

I'd recommend the Go system torch mentioned in the thread above for bigger items, as you don't want a tank and hose. This one https://cpc.farnell.com/gosystem/mt2...70g/dp/TL19778 I have it and its been good for me. I also have a Stingray for soldering small things like jumprings etc and I've found both of them good. I'm getting a Sievert in the New Year, but think its always a good idea to have a back up, just in case.
    Jules

I got the Maxflame butane torch from Cookson during the last lockdown, partly out of curiosity, and partly because Tesco were able to deliver lighter gas re-fills with our groceries.
    I must say, I was pleasantly surprised at its powerful flame, far exceeding that of mini torches and cooks torches. It needs only infrequent re-filling

It can easily heat thick wires for annealing, and silver rings and pendants for soldering. In fact you might turn the air hole down a little as a routine, and move the flame about for fear of overheating something. It is too fierce for thin chains and wires, but would not be hot enough to melt large amounts of scrap, or grain for casting.

There are lots of lookalikes on line but I cannot speak for those. Dennis.

The maxflame is pretty good, as is the Blazer (I have both versions of this one, and like them. I still love the convenience of handheld.

I find the ignition systems fail after a while, but it's not exactly difficult to use a lighter or sparker.

They're pretty handy for kitchen use as well

I had the Blazer GB2001 and was distinctly underwhelmed – there is a thread on here somewhere about alternative uses for it as it's hopeless for more than the smallest job.

I upgraded to a Sievert and love it but if I want even more heat I use my husbands old torch with Rothernberger butane/propane mix cartridges. The GoSystem looks very similar

Thanks Petal, nice links.

Thanks Guys, useful info. I am looking again at the Go System, had one a while ago but could only get gas from Amazon. Fierce too.