Thread: Foxtail Chain Loop Size

Default Foxtail Chain Loop Size

Hello everyone

I'm quite new to all this and recently made a foxtail chain. When it came to making the individual loops I just estimated the wire gauge and the circumference. Is there a way to correctly calculate these measurements or a chart that has suitable sizes on? I guess this question applies to every type of chain. If anyone has any advice I would much appreciate it.

Thanks

No, people are frequently in search of formulas, or recipes, but the way forward is to make a group of 3 or 5 links in copper, and see what you get.
    Dennis.

Or look out for the wonderful "Classical Loop in Loop Chains" for a book which goes far beyond just the making of the chains.

Thanks for your reply. I did see that book mentioned before but does it include size guides or some sort of chart?

My favourite past time is chain making, this is an amazing website and very in-depth … I use it a lot … https://www.mailleartisans.org
    Although loop and loop style is a little different for A.R I would recommend practice practice practice before committing yourself to something serious.
    I get thick copper wire from a scrapyard and draw it down to any size I want. Only then if I can make it with copper and it looks and feels good
    I allow myself to commit to my precious silver….Nick

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0AE286FB-36A5-422E-9B18-EDD3A8908D5F.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	10.2 KB 
ID:	13220
    Last edited by nicks creative stuff; 14-12-2021 at 07:52 AM.