Thread: Electric Furness 1900 watt.

Default Electric Furness 1900 watt.

Anyone had experience using these? I found these advertised on eBay and rather like the possibility of the no flame safety. It means I could smelt undercover in my garage without the fear of starting a fire ….so easily. Apparently you can smelt up to 3kg.
    David.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No, always worked in a domestic setting, so haven't done any casting since my student days. However it would take the pain out of getting the metal hot enough to pour. I would look up the user guide on line, which will give you the clearances and other precautions needed, before you decide.

Of course if you are going that route, you might as well go the whole hog, and get a unit which will melt and vacuum cast in one. Dennis.

I have a 1kg version.It works ok, the temperature setting doesn't seem so accurate but gets better with the more metal you use. You have to get the temp something like then guess it by eye. Also it goes through crucibles pretty quick so best to look for the better quality ones. Also You will still need something to burnout the flask if you're casting.

Thanks…could you explain “burn out”

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    No, always worked in a domestic setting, so haven't done any casting since my student days. However it would take the pain out of getting the metal hot enough to pour. I would look up the user guide on line, which will give you the clearances and other precautions needed, before you decide.

Of course if you are going that route, you might as well go the whole hog, and get a unit which will melt and vacuum cast in one. Dennis.
    Melt and vacuum cast? Excuse my ignorance! Sounds v e r y expensive!

The one I am looking at is eBay EAN 4260690194489.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294072451...4AAOSwOJRgVBm2

ahh ok I thought you wanted to cast that's why I said about burnout. burnout is removing the wax from the investment in the flask so it makes a jewellery shaped mold into which you put the metal you need a kiln to do this ideally with a programmable temperatures . I would go for the smallest one you can get 3kg is probs a bit big. I bet there is not much cost difference between a budget vacuum casting set up and a decent rolling mill unless you have a rolling mill already !!. They are nice to use a bit less stressful than melting with a torch.

Well I have now had my Furnace delivered and all looks good…..except the “Chinglish” instructions! I am sure I will get there eventually but if anyone has one of these units and has any tips I would be most grateful for their advice! The translation must be straight Google translation or even worse!
    David.