Thread: Pen Plating - starter set up - yellow and rose gold

Default Pen Plating - starter set up - yellow and rose gold

Hello :-) Usually, I use Keum Boo for adding gold details but would like to start mixing some rose gold in with the yellow gold details. Plus the depletion guilding of the pieces can be a pain...
    Can anyone suggest a good starter set-up for pen plating?

TIA 👍

Hi Tia,
    I once bought a battery powered gold plating pen, being the cheapest option, and found the results too subtle for my tastes.
    You might like to try this for yourself: https://www.goldn.co.uk/product/batt...d-plating-pen/

I then settled for rolling gold wires and slices into stock with my mill, and used selected areas to suit my needs. See bugs below. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gold With Silver.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Hi Tia,
    I once bought a battery powered gold plating pen, being the cheapest option, and found the results too subtle for my tastes.
    You might like to try this for yourself: https://www.goldn.co.uk/product/batt...d-plating-pen/

I then settled for rolling gold wires and slices into stock with my mill, and used selected areas to suit my needs. See bugs below. Dennis.
    Thank you, Dennis, I will give the battery-operated pen a go the Spa one. A new 'toy' for myself in time for Christmas. I do like rolling mills, but that is on my dream list of tools

Is it possible to Keum Boo with rose gold?
    Last edited by andrea756101; 10-12-2021 at 11:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by andrea756101 View Post
    Thank you, Dennis, I will give the battery-operated pen a go the Spa one. A new 'toy' for myself in time for Christmas. I do like rolling mills, but that is on my dream list of tools

Is it possible to Keum Boo with rose gold?
    I think it has to be pure gold for the alchemy to work. Someone will tell me if I’m wrong that rose gold has copper in it for the colour

Definitely copper is added to make rose gold usually some pure Silver to soften the alloy, so it quite a long way from pure Gold I have only ever used 22karat gold for Keum Boo might be a fun thing to try though you would have the make it yourself, I don't thing Rose Gold Foil is available anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    Definitely copper is added to make rose gold usually some pure Silver to soften the alloy, so it quite a long way from pure Gold I have only ever used 22karat gold for Keum Boo might be a fun thing to try though you would have the make it yourself, I don't thing Rose Gold Foil is available anywhere.
    I haven’t seen it anywhere Bob.I bought a very expensive lamp from a potter who claimed all the different colours of gold on the top surface were gold, I very much doubt that. I do have a booklet of different colours but I’ve never tried them tbh.
    The cost of keum boo gold has stopped me using it for the moment
    I did share a video once of a master craftsman making gold leaf by hand, it was fascinating

Yeh Gold is getting up there at the moment, I have made Rose Gold but not foil (it will be part of a post that I promised many moons ago ) I am pretty sure I watched that video, and it made me realise why it is expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    Yeh Gold is getting up there at the moment, I have made Rose Gold but not foil (it will be part of a post that I promised many moons ago ) I am pretty sure I watched that video, and it made me realise why it is expensive.
    Oh well the last time I bought it I thought £80 was the highest I’d paid for a 31/2 in square. £106 today!

Thank you! Much appreciated! this is really helpful information :-) I have a lot to learn about silver, gold etc.

You never stop learning, when you stop learning you start dying, "Albert Einstein"
    Last edited by china; 13-12-2021 at 12:58 PM.