Thread: Work harden hollow dome

Default Work harden hollow dome

Hi,

I'm working on making hollow domes like this (youtube.com/watch?v=yfS9VDsSWyo) and was wondering if You'll know of any way I can work harden them? These pieces are up to .5mm in thickness so should I go thicker to add more strength or will work hardening work? Dents form in he piece if its dropped and the flat portion also seems prone to bending, although I'm currently using pure silver for prototypes but will be making them in 18k gold.

What would be the best way to keep the inside of the dome clean through the soldering process because I don't know if it can be cleaned once it has been soldered.

Would using a tumbler help with either of, or both of these issues? (I don't currently have one so will have to buy one).

Thanks
    Last edited by purplepepper8; 08-12-2021 at 01:44 AM.

You've answered your own question - making them in fine silver will never give you the results you want - try using sterling (or copper) for prototypes - fine is simply too soft and will never harden sufficiently and no matter what you do it will be vulnerable to bending and dents. I'm amazed you've managed to keep it in shape through the fabrication process.

As for the inside, I've never even considered trying to 'clean' the invisible areas. And with gold, you certainly don't need to bother.

Ive subsequently made some in sterling silver- up to 19 gauge in thickness (previously it was only 25 gauge) and still have dents form if the piece is dropped. I don't want to go thicker because then there is just too much gold used which will drive up the price unnecessarily.

To be honest if you wish to make something that will not dent when drooped then you could try Platinum although I doubt it will be much different, precious metals are soft even in the hardened state, I assume it is for jewellery not too many jewellery designs are resistant to being dropped and not suffering any damage.
    The best way to keep solder going where it is not wanted is to apply some type of resist to the surface before soldering.
    I do not believe a tumbler would solve either issue tumbling items does not harden them.

Since this is just the prototype and you're going to make them in 18ct gold, it's a bit of a waste of time worrying about work hardening them.
    You've had a lot of good advice on the engravers café already.