Thread: 925 stamping below 7.78 grams

Default 925 stamping below 7.78 grams

Hi there,

I've searched 925 stamping on here but couldn't find a relevant thread so I'm sorry if this is a repeat of something someone has messaged in the past but I'm unable to find anything.

I am fully aware that any silver jewellery item above 7.78 grams would need to be officially hallmarked at an assay office.

I believe from previous research that any silver item below 7.78 grams is left to the maker's discretion as to whether it would be 925 stamped. Is this still the case? I believe it's not a legal requirement. I have been googling today.

I have a 925 stamp but the stamping is pretty big and lot of my designs that may involve thin silver wire cannot be 925 stamped so I choose not to stamp them. Like a twist or a beaded wire cannot be 925 stamped either.

Thanks
    Louise

Title should have said below "7.78" grams

p.s. if anyone knows of a really tiny but good 925 stamp then please hit me with it! I'm trying to find a really small one with good reviews.

Sounds as though you may need smaller size stamp, with a suitable stamp you can stamp wire, it will create a small flat section, that is usually acceptable

Quote Originally Posted by Loulou View Post
    Title should have said below "7.78" grams
    It does now
    If it's really small then a stamp might do more harm than good; might be worth investigating having them laser marked.
    Might not.

I have all my stamps custom made these days, I was not happy with the commercially made ones that I encountered it is more expensive although a well made item will last a lifetime.

Your assay office will provide a suitable small stamp, at reasonable cost. To avoid stamping wires, you could also investigate ready made sterling tags.
    https://www.google.com/search?channe...+for+jewellery
    Dennis.

Thank everyone. I will see about finding a small one, will check with assay office first and take it from there. You don't have to stamp items below 7.78 grams though do you? Is it still optional?

No there is no need to stamp below 7.78gms. I you happen to be sending a batch into the assay office above that weight then I usually send in my underweight items too other wise not. You can have small items laser marked then