Thread: Hi from Australia

Default Hi from Australia

Thank you for letting me join the forum. It came as a shock to realise I had made my first silver jewellery 70 years ago. I have been on the bench for 54 years and independent 43 years. I have loved every minute of it and bringing up two lovely daughters, one who works with me. We do everything the 'big guys' do, but do it with time and care. Obviously I am nearing the end of my bench time, but I have had so much fun! I also love making jewellery tools and gadgets. Our workshop is tiny so I had to build a vertical drawbench with a tiny footprint. Also a material sizing plate which I have submitted to Cooksongold for evaluation. If this is an inappropriate post please delete me. I just want to encourage young jewellers starting out to stick with it! Jewellery is a lifetime of fun and you get paid for it!

Welcome! Well I am the opposite to you in some ways. I am over that 70 yr old mark….just short of 80 and only came into “jewellery” some 5 or so years ago. I just wish I had discovered this art and science earlier! I just make what I like and sell to people who like the products. A paying hobby that self supports buying the raw products and the tools. Your experience and advice will I am sure be most welcome and valuable.
    David.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Welcome from another Aussie and to the best jewellery forum on the net, vertical drawbench that's new "material sizing plate" I guess it is something different to the usual draw plate.

Hello and welcome from me too. Good to have another experienced voice on here

A warm welcome from a very cold blightey. Looking forward to hearing more about your years in the jewellery industry, along with some tips.

Thereabouts in oz are you?
    Jules