Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yellow bronze

Default Yellow bronze

Anyone know of a supplier of yellow bronze wire. Just got my yellow bronze castings and wondering what to use for the jump rings, I've only seen red bronze wire.

I sympathise Sheena, having had matching problems myself. You will probably have to make do with brass wire. It might match better if you pull it through folded sandpaper first for a matte effect.

I googled phosphor bronze instead, and found some antique yellow on Etsy.
    https://www.etsy.com/market/phosphor...QAvD_BwEDennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 26-11-2021 at 10:09 PM.

Thanks Dennis. It's something I just hadn't considered when it came to my bronze casts. As they always advise you solder your rings on after and I just hadn't thought I wouldn't be able to get some yellow bronze wire, oops. Will check out the link you sent. You're a star.

Hi Sheen,
    I work in the metalwork industry and jewellery making is my hobby…In my garage I’ve done a lot of bronze copper and silver casting…. At work i use a lot of different welding techniques and wires and some of them cross nicely over into the jewellery industry….I would highly recommend going into a local friendly welding supply shop and trying to chat to them about what’s available….. I make and join my brass,copper and bronze jump rings and items out of different welding and braising rods …. you can get bronze and brass in 1m lengths and different thicknesses varying from .6 to 2.5mm ….. lots of different grades… different colours… different properties…different uses… connecting different metals.

My favourite at the moment is bronze tig braising rods…. you may need to shop around to be able to buy them individually otherwise the packs I have to buy are quite large and expensive.

Hope some of this waffle helps…. Nick
    Last edited by nicks creative stuff; 28-11-2021 at 10:30 PM.

Great Idea Nick, wish I had thought of it, I use it quite often.

P.S. I inherited a large amount of industrial Silver solder rods I have no idea what grade they are.

Silver solder rods possibly for braising brass …. Can be tested a bit ….. what does it do in pickle….. does it flow with borax….. testing temperature range can be done with a small Paleon on a scrap of copper plate alongside the 4 other jewellery grades… heating slowly altogether and watching the sequence of when they melt…. I’m no expert but this has worked in the past for me…. All the best… nick

I will most likely fire up the Oxy/Acet and test how they perform on steel, I think they may be 45% and 56%

Mmm acetylene … nice …hot hot hot… It’s amazing how many variations on a theme there are …. I got excited recently when I found some copper coloured braising rods for joining copper … resulting in invisible joints.

Great thread and thanks for those tips Nick. I've recently found some solder, where the tape I'd put on had come off and have no idea what type it is, but I can now check it out.
    Jules

I use Acetylene in the shed, but for jewellery I use LPG it does not produce that annoying soot I don't want hijack the thread so I will keep quite now