Thread: 9ct Rose gold medium solder not flowing

Default 9ct Rose gold medium solder not flowing

Hello

I was wondering if anyone had a problem with 9ct rose gold solder?
    I am trying to resize a diamond and ruby ring (going three sizes up) with a fairly fine d-shape shank (about 2mm wide). I have a clean, no gap fit. I placed the ring first in dapping block filled with water, just enough to cover the stones and tried to quickly solder it. At first I used my small hand held butane torch, then moved on to sivert with medium nozzle to no avail. Then I used a cooling gel instead of water this time on a soldering brick and still nothing. The solder melted slightly but not much. I have some experience soldering yellow gold but never rose, so I was wondering if there's a difference. I used medium 9ct red solder bought at Cookson.
    I have to add I did heat the ring for much much longer that what I am normally used to (with gold) that is why I find this a little baffling.
    I also need to be careful as the ruby, which is the central stone, has a large diagonal brake in the pavilion which extends quite deeply into the stone, so I can really go gung ho with the heat. Especially that it is my customer's precious heirloom...
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Monika

Classic Not enough Heat "the solder melted slightly but not much" the item you are soldering melts the solder not the flame

Yes, if you protect your stones in water, or a paste, this will absorb a great deal of heat. With a good joint, a slight mismatch in colour will not show, so you could try , extra easy 9ct solder.

Alternatively you will need a much hotter small flame, a welder, or a laser. Some members have recommended Geti Titanium for welding services.

Diamonds usually survive without protection if you let them air cool after heating, so you could unset just the ruby.

On a ring of your size, solder should flow within a minute or so. Prolonged heating is not recommended, as it will exhaust the flux and cause changes in the gold alloy. Dennis.

Ahh thanks, I'm curious as to why there isn't other option for red solder just medium!

The red is copper maybe its because the amount of copper to make it red is more than the amount of stuff that makes it harder will allow ? Its an interesting question.I know red gold to cast can be a pain its sort of sticky and difficult to get to flow.
    Last edited by josef1; 25-11-2021 at 05:41 PM.

Also, maybe there is little demand for an array of 9ct solders.
    Both red and yellow 9ct become more similar in colour when heated for soldering, so it makes little difference which colour solder you use.
    This actually makes it impossible to find a matching chain for a made pendant. The chains are in their pristine colours and decidedly different.

There are some assorted 9ct wire rings in the most recent picture of my album. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 25-11-2021 at 09:31 PM.