Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Silver solder will not melt ?

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    Try the solder on another item, does the solder melt on it's own eg. on a solder block, did you buy the solder from your usual supplier, are you fluxing the join or just dipping the solder ( you say you are using a powder flux )
    is the solder Jewellers grade or industrial type silver solder
    Hi, it is the same solder, same flux and same method I have used for years. I put a small cut of the solder wire and flux on a brass plate and it did melt and flow, although it did seem to take a while longer than I would have expected. I cannot recall the exact name of the solder wire but it is Cookson, 1mm and the lowest melting point available, the flux powder is what I have always used - easy flo - Thanks
    Last edited by flynnboy; 18-11-2021 at 02:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Silver solder should flow within a minute or two, or you will need more heat. Also the piece needs to be heated overall by moving the flame around, before homing in on the joint.

Prolonged ineffectual heating burns out the flux and changes the solder alloy.

The common flux in jewellery making is borax in water.

Remember also that you are not restricted to hard silver solder. For a large metal instrument, you will be greatly helped by using easy, or extra easy hallmarking quality silver solder. Dennis.
    I actually use extra easy 1mm dia.

Before going back to Cookson, just try one last trial....clean your solder with a rub of sandpaper, it could be oxidised.
    Poor old Les

I would agree with Les. If nothing else has changed and it’s been lying about then it is probably dirty. I rub down my solder strip before every use and before cutting pallions