Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to get my jewellery hallmarked in France

Default how to get my jewellery hallmarked in France

Hi, this is my first post - I am a British artist/jeweller, living and working in France. Up till the end of last year, I used to hallmark my jewellery in Britain before selling it here in France. This worked well because France recognised the British hallmarking system and was easier for me than embarking on the French system.

however, since Brexit France no long recognises the British hallmarking system, and therefore I am unable to hallmark my work in Britain to sell here.

Obviously, it would be ideal if I could get my work hallmarked here under the french system, but I just can't find the means of doing that. I'm not affiliated to any jewellery trade - my work is exhibited in galleries as studio jewellery. I make perhaps 20 pieces per year. I have no formal training here or reciprocal UK certificates and cannot see a way into being accepted into the french hallmarking system.

I would be very grateful if anyone could help with any advice as to how to move forward. I spent yet another hour googling the subject this morning and still not getting anywhere so feeling very frustrated! particularly because at present I am unable to exhibit or sell new work. In Britain there is clear advice on how to hallmark your work but I just can't find the equivalent here.

Thank you in advance. Any help would be gratefully received.

I know there are lots more restrictions since Brexit and have noticed some makers are not selling to particular countries now, as the UK hallmark is not recognised abroad. I know its not what you want to hear, but maybe make in France, hallmark the items in the UK and sell in the UK? Or maybe see if you can find a particularly friendly local jeweller near you that can advise?

Sorry to not be more helpful, but I wish you the best.
    Jules

What is the problem? That you cannot discover the criteria for registering or that your registration is not allowed? I found this from the FT which might start you on a better track
    https://www.ft.com/content/8669a0ed-...0-f679c631c7f3
    You are another casualty of brexit in the meantime. Since you live in France I can't even suggest you complain to your MP!
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

I seem to remember a discussion a long time ago about working in France but it’ll no no longer be relevant since Brexit. The gift that keeps on giving
    I found this but don’t know how helpful is is https://www.cooksongold.com/forum/sh...king+in+France

Are you on FB as the Society of British Jewellers has members from all over and they might be able to help ?
    Last edited by CJ57; 11-11-2021 at 09:29 PM.

Seems you've cracked it with the second link Josef.
    Poor old Les

They haven't been back online to see even the first reply.

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    They haven't been back online to see even the first reply.
    Well, we have enhanced our knowledge. They have not. We win

(there is a lot of enquiring and disappearing going on at the moment. Infuriating!)
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

I didn’t like to say in case I was accused of being mean to new members again:/

Hi, - I'm new to this forum too!