Thread: Fine silver or sterling?

Default Fine silver or sterling?

Hi all, hope you’re well and enjoying your New Year. i’m hoping to find some advice and suggestions relating to the difference between fine silver and sterling.
    I’ve only ever worked with sterling silver wire and I’m now running low on stock material. After seeing how much wire has gone up in price lately it makes me think I should convert part of a 1kg bar of fine that I purchased a while ago in to wire. I have access to a large cutting size oxy propane torch, so I was hoping to hold the bar with tongs and drip into water. Once converted to grain and flakes I could then use it on a variety of projects.
    So I have a few questions … is making sterling silver wire as simple as adding 7.5% electrical copper wire to the fine flakes when re-melting a batch.
    Is it worth reducing this 7.5% a bit to guarantee hallmarking standards.
    Do people use fine wire for chain making … I’m assuming it’s easier to make but may be problematic with fine chains.
    What projects do people choose fine silver for over sterling due to its properties.
    Does fine work Harden at all.
    Thanks for your wisdom and insights … Nick

Hi Nick,
    I don't have any experience of making my own alloys, preferring just to buy them in.

However, I have used fine silver extensively for bezel material, preferring to roll it sideways from wire to make my strips, with clean rounded edges, This reduces the tendency of solder to spill through onto textured base plates.

It work hardens quickly, but also becomes very soft when re-heated as in soldering. Vey similar to copper really.
    For this reasonIt is pretty useless for chains unless you plan to stretch or twist the links after joining them.
    Setting also serves to harden it quite quickly.

Lastly it is used for special techniques such as in enamelling, and fusing. And of course it does not have firescalee.
    Regards, Dennis.

Thanks for that Dennis, that’s a big handful of golden nuggets of information. Surprised to hear fine work hardens similar to copper … a useful trait.
    I’ve not done much bezel setting but i’ll make some fine wire to try out your technique.
    I have some glass enamel powder somewhere maybe time to dig it out and try some enamelled castings with the fine.
    Appreciate your advice … cheers … Nick

Nick, if you are planning to roll wires sideways, they won't necessarily come out straight. So be prepared to remedy this by stretching the result from time to time, clamping one end in a vice and pulling with pliers. You also need to allow for the fact that this will make them slightly thinner. Dennis.

Thanks Dennis, i’m sure you could write a book with all your experience. I have a budget rolling mill but look forward to making some fine wire. Making a variety of bezel strip will encourage me to try out setting techniques a bit more. I’ve never really liked the look of thin bezel strip and making my own that suits would be much more of a challenge.
    cheers for the advice … Nick