Hi, - I'm new to this forum too! I have lived in south of France for 20 years and I wanted to sell jewellery in France years ago but there is no equivalent to Goldsmiths Hall over here, for any info or help. I went to Goldsmiths Hall in person about 8 years ago who told me that British Hall marks were acceptable in France. This unfortunately wasn't correct. Then I discovered that there is an office dealing with hall marking at the Customs Office on the Port in Nice so I went there in person to try to get some info. on hallmarking from them. They told me that English hall marks were not valid in France and never have been. They wouldn't give me any information and didn't want to talk to me further. This put me off for years. I subsequently learnt that French Law only permits you to buy silver / precious metals in France if you are registered as being a 'professional'. You can register as a micro entrepreneur to sell the jewellery you make at your local Chambres de Metiers et de Artisanat who provide free advice to anyone wanting to set up a small business including jewellery and arts and crafts. You may be able to ask for an advisor who speaks English. I made an appointment to see them last year, and they were very nice and helpful. They can get you set up and registered for 100 euros once you have completed the paperwork. Unfortunately they couldn't answer my questions about jewellery/ hallmarking or any related technical stuff. As I understand it from several local jewellers here with shops, whatever you want to sell in silver, even if its under 7 gms, has to be hallmarked with a french hallmark to sell it legally. Also you have to record all the precious metals you buy, and whatever you sell, in a Police book which you keep at your studio, so they can visit you and audit what you are doing. To register as a micro entrepreneur you also have to decide which type of jewellery you come under as jewellery is categorized into Bijoux Fantaisie, Bijouterie, and Joaillerie. I speak fluent french but that doesn't help with getting any information on this subject whatsoever, so its not the language that 's the problem. I expect it's online somewhere....
The GOOD news is that gold fill is not considered a precious metal here, so it's not subject to any of the above restrictions. Trendy jewellery shops in France are now selling gold fill jewellery. Hope this helps!!!