Thread: Crock pot problems

Default Crock pot problems

Morning all, I have used 3 crock pots now. The first a second hand one from a charity shop which eventually cracked. The second, my old home casserole slow cooker which allowed pickle to seep through to the metal casing which eroded and now am on my third. I thought I would buy a brand new one and thought genuinely I would have not problems as you see them everywhere on You Tube all crusted and yet still working and everybody seems to still use them. This time I thought I would be clever! just put water in the crock section and within that a smaller plastic pot with the pickle solution in it so it had no chance of touching the crock. When I lifted the crock pot out of its metal casing this was full of water - an electrical hazard to say the least. I thought previously it was the caustic nature of the pickle causing the problems and yet it seems not. Has anybody else had this problem or know of a solution. I took the crock pot out and left it in the kitchen with water in it on a towel to see if it genuinely leaked and it did. How do these things manage to cook watery food without this happening? All help very welcome.

I've had a couple go where the enamel on the pot has crazed, allowing whatever was in it to seep through. No idea why, but it's a complete pain.

I’ve always had cheap ones and have never had a seepage problem. If it’s allowed to boiled dry perhaps? I only heat mine up when I need it though and it isn’t on all the time. I’ve only used alum of Cookson safety pickle in mine nothing stronger

I only use it when needed and it has never boiled dry so not a clue! I use the safety pickle as well. I'm not chucking it just yet. I've decided to only put the water in when it is needed and not leave it in all the time which is a pain in the proverbial but so glad I saw it when I did as it is a good lesson learned. Thanks for the comments

I am the same always used the cheap ones never had one leak the electrics just break down and are not worth fixing, last time about 4 years ago I bought four as they were on special still on the first one.
    Heat it up when needed and turn it to keep warm once heated.

How odd - mine is 30+ years old and very "slow" compared with modern ones. I've used it a lot though for proper cooking and no seepage at all.

I bought a small modern one a few years ago for making infused oils. I put the oils in a jar and use the bowl as a water bath like you said you did. Again it's fine. No water leakage. This boils dry on me regularly as I have to leave the lid off! It does get a lot hotter than my old one.

I'm using an old bottle warmer for my pickle that I got free on FB Marketplace. I have a glass jar with a lid on for the pickle itself. It's fine as I don't make many big items that wouldn't fit in it

I've had a Morphy Richards, similar to this one from Currys, for about six years now. I prefer the oval shape, because it accommodates longer pieces and wires.

The pickle stays in week after week, until it becomes too disgusting. Never any bother, so I suggest you go for a known brand, backed by a trusted supplier.
    Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mrphy Richards slow cooker.jpg  

I had a cheap one and it had a slow leak, discovered the base was full of pickle. Bought another cheap one but this time from breville; this time it's been fine.

My favourite was a visicook with a glass pot, which lasted years. I wish I'd bought a couple of spares as when the electrics gave up, I found they no longer made them.

I currently use two - one like that in Dennis's link and a smaller round one. I also have a baby bottle warmer for using with a jar of other types of pickle or things that need to be used warm.

Like Dennis, I just leave my pickle in there until I can no longer find anything in the sludge at the bottom. I never use anything higher than the 'keep warm' setting, though, and for everyday, use alum rather than safety pickle.