Thread: Assay required for US?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Assay required for US?

I know this is somewhere but I can’t find it. Sorry. I usually send pieces already hallmarked but my customer has liked a piece that isn’t and probably won’t be this year. I know they don’t have to in the US but do I have to if I want to send it there?
    I won’t tell her husband it’s an option if it has to be done. I seem to remember not but it’s been a long 2 years and I think my brain has atrophied:/

Hi Caroline,

I've checked with the Birmingham Assay Office and, they have said "it needs a hallmark, as its being sold from here and the transaction to pay for it happens here, but posted to the US. "

I've posted my reply in case others have the same query.
    Jules

Thanks Jules for going to the bother . Oh well it’ll be earrings then after all this palaver!

Its a great shame. Then again they might be willing to wait for it to be hallmarked?
    Jules

are they above the qualifying weight ?

Yes well over I’m afraid. I don’t have enough pieces to merit an assay visit and I don’t intend to make anymore this year unless a few underweight earrings. I’d got it into my fuzzy head that because the US didn’t hallmark it might be ok .All info firmly implanted in my brain now

Quote Originally Posted by Petal View Post
    Its a great shame. Then again they might be willing to wait for it to be hallmarked?
    Don’t start me about the whole palaver Jules, it’s been nightly emails for more than a week! It’ll end up being a pr of earrings which given the time spent will be a loss

Its so difficult with emails, I'd much rather phone someone and have a chat than send emails back and forth!
    Jules