Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sizing cuff

Default Sizing cuff

I’m at my wit’s end so bear with me!
    I have a customer in the US who has decided this Christmas that his wife wants a cuff like those worn in Schitt’s Creek. Never seen it but you can buy cheap copies on Etsy and I sort of wish they would.
    They have picked a couple of mine but getting her size to see if either are suitable is driving me to distraction with nightly emails and blurry pics. She doesn’t appear to have a bracelet/cuff of her own and I’ve even suggest they go to a shop and try some on for fit.
    I’ve had photos of a hand and a tape measure and tonight he has found a piece of wire which he has formed into a bracelet measuring 22 cm. that seems very wide as her wrist measurement appears in the pic to be a bit over 6 3/4 in. No idea how wide the wire is and as one of mine is concave and 1in wide and the other is concave to tapered about 3/4 in wide I’ve no idea how this translates
    I have a really narrow wrist so cuffs don’t work well and I’ve always sold direct to customer after they’ve tried them all on. I’ve tried talking them out of it but he’s determined so how do we get an accurate measurement? Neither of mine are soldered so there is a bit of spring.
    Last edited by CJ57; 30-10-2021 at 01:15 AM.

I have been in this situation a couple of times, ask him to cut a thin piece of flexible card the roughly the width of the cuff, wrap it around her wrist cut to length, then flatten out out next to a ruler, take a pic showing the measurement.
    I have never seen the show, although I guess we talking about the ones with the name on them ( Googled it )

Yes I had to google and I think it’s the big cuffs even amulets! Not the ones with letters which are stackers. My BIL tells me there have been about 7 series so that’s a lot of jewellery. Anyway they made a choice of 2 of mine
    Have suggested just about everything to them. They live in a big city so I’m sure she could even go to Walmart and try on a cheap plastic one. I think the problem is the disparity between her wrist and getting it over her hand. Her wrist seems to be 17cm and her hand 22cm. Although I did say tuck your thumb under you can still roll your hand in to get a bangle on and I can’t believe she doesn’t know how to do this! They are both professional people

There is lots of jewellery to see on line from this show, but no cuffs.
    The question is: do you need all this frustration Caroline, with the possibility that they might even want to return it?
    Make your excuses and leave them to it. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    There is lots of jewellery to see on line from this show, but no cuffs.
    The question is: do you need all this frustration Caroline, with the possibility that they might even want to return it?
    Make your excuses and leave them to it. Dennis.
    I’m very tempted Dennis. They are nice people and have bought a few pieces in the past but cuffs are such a difficult thing without trying. I’ve suggested that she might want to look at something else so maybe I’ll push that again.
    The Netflix series was mentioned in email one but given I’m not a fan they’d at least chosen something in my collection. Who knew a vet could be so handless with his ‘I’ve managed to find a piece of wire!’

I’m guessing it was one of these £27 on Etsy which would be really easy to make in silver I suppose and don’t think I need it hallmarked for the US do I? But you’re right do I want the hassle

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9FFE779C-C0AF-4F87-8565-6BBE46772C79.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	7.6 KB 
ID:	13213

Yes, I looked at those Caroline, but they are actually rings for fingers and might be miles away from what they want.
    There could also be a misunderstanding between bangles which are whole, and cuffs which have a gap.
    As you say, the best way is for them to send you a cheap plastic one to copy.
    They might balk at that because US postage is very expensive and it could take 3 weeks to come. Good luck, Dennis.

We’ve had a conversation Dennis and a cuff has been put on hold until it’s safe to shop in the US. We’ll look at a custom made one when she knows if she can even wear one. Not all wrists are cuff friendly.
    The picture shows how much I read it, I did a search for SC cuffs and that’s what came up. So much for google. To me a cuff is open end and a bangle is closed.
    I’ve been lucky with their deliveries in the past, it get to the US quickly and then takes about 10 days to get across country tracking all the way .
    He’s now thinking of Opal or labradorite earrings, neither of which I have. I have to laugh

https://www.amazon.com/Finger-Measur...G%2CB0969SKZRB

could they get something like this not sure if it would help ?

Quote Originally Posted by josef1 View Post
    https://www.amazon.com/Finger-Measur...G%2CB0969SKZRB

could they get something like this not sure if it would help ?
    Apparently Amazon does a bangle sizer, he sent me a link. It’s a metal one a bit like a ring sizer.
    Thankfully we’ve had a discussion and it’s being put off until she feels able to do a bit of research in the shops. I’m not sure I’ve ever met a woman who doesn’t have some sort of bracelet or bangle to relate to.
    Unfortunately no matter how many times I’ve told him everything I have is in a specific file in photos he has sent me 6 photos today of everything I said I didn’t have and all definitely sold.
    I’m going to have a Sun evening away from his emails as my patience is a little stretched.I’m not a mind reader and my imagination isn’t stretching across the Atlantic enough to meet the vague descriptions

I think I’ll call this post to a halt. I have until next year to summon up the energy!
    Thanks everyone

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    Apparently Amazon does a bangle sizer, he sent me a link. It’s a metal one a bit like a ring sizer.
    Thankfully we’ve had a discussion and it’s being put off until she feels able to do a bit of research in the shops. I’m not sure I’ve ever met a woman who doesn’t have some sort of bracelet or bangle to relate to.
    Unfortunately no matter how many times I’ve told him everything I have is in a specific file in photos he has sent me 6 photos today of everything I said I didn’t have and all definitely sold.
    I’m going to have a Sun evening away from his emails as my patience is a little stretched.I’m not a mind reader and my imagination isn’t stretching across the Atlantic enough to meet the vague descriptions

I think I’ll call this post to a halt. I have until next year to summon up the energy!
    Thanks everyone
    Hi Caroline, came across your post and thought I would add something. I have made quite a few of these cuffs and rule of thumb: soft tape measure
    around wrist, deduct 20 or 25mm for opening and add 10mm for wriggle room. I have made these up to 50mm high and the calculation has worked very well so far. (touch wood). Happy New Year